What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

After the amount of time, effort and energy expended in pointless emails chasing, chasing and chasing, I lost the will to chase still more for the postage! I was ultimately just glad to get the refund on the LP and leave the whole sordid episode behind me. I do tend to buy on CC and this served me well once when a pretty expensive shipment went AWOL on its way over from the USA - for which the vendor blamed the USPS and refused to refund. Another lesson learned there!

Cheers,

Ian

2 Likes

I doubt it. Or at least, I sincerely hope not.

FWIW, I ordered the 45rpm version from Scott as soon as I found out about it. The order is in, but no money has been requested yet. I guess it gives him some idea of demand and how many to order, although for the really limited edition stuff like the one-steps and these UHQRs, demand usually way outstrips supply and while as an independent reseller you could order say, 30 pieces, what you get sent may be way less than that.

But this is the point Richard. Chad Kassem himself, as well as AP/AS are on record, only last week, as saying that the 45rpm does NOT exist, nor do they have a release date, nor do they even know if it will ever come out.

So why is this guy taking orders for something that doesn’t exist? (OK, he might not have taken your money, but this is not really on, is it?). As Chad said, don’t wait for the 45rpm, get the 33, otherwise you may be disappointed. Or waiting for a very long time.

1 Like

Quite interesting to have seen the 45 labels in the uhqr video then. Odd?

Thanks Kev, as I said I understand the technical, but what I was getting at is how good or not the sound is at the end of the day to relatively ordinary listeners (if we can describe ourselves as such) who have listened to these things and judged with their own ears.
I’m aware of what people like Mikey Fremer say, as respected as he is though I dont view him entirely impartial on matters relating to Chad Kaseem/AP/QRP.
As for quiet pressings I have tons of records that sound perfectly quiet to me and I do mean perfectly (Karousel bearing on the LP12 has further demonstrated that) that aren’t expensive UHQR. So for me it would need to do something far more than just a quiet pressing.
It also seems to me that a lot of “HiFi” people buy these for bragging rights, to share hyperbole on forums and keep up with the audiophile Jones’s.
Once the initial hype, chatter, and rush to bag one has faded I rarely see these kind of records being enjoyed long term by music lovers and appearing regularly on music threads like the WYLT series.
:heart:

1 Like

Well, AP have been including it in their promotional material, including in the recent Aqualung set (and have given it a price too), so I think there will be many disappointed if they decide not to go ahead with it;

On a technicality this shouldn’t be in this thread as “I” didn’t buy it- it was a gift from my bezzie @crispyduck
What a fabulous album- I’ve streamed it before on low fi - transformed on an hifi. Highly recommended
And thank you my friend!
On another note - giving and receiving vinyl is one of life’s great pleasures. Many of my albums have been gifts and every time I play one of them I remember and think about the person who gave them to me.

5 Likes

You mean this @Rex?

Not really odd at all. Printed assets for records (labels, jackets, inserts) are often prepared months in advance. After all, you can’t press a record without a label. I run my own little record company so I should know! But that doesn’t mean the records exist, or will exist any time soon. Especially as this is AP we’re talking about.

Back in 2019 I spoke to Roger Waters’ manager Mark Fenwick about the AP 4-LP 45rpm version of Amused to Death, which was supposed to come out at the end of 2017. He told me that RW had approved the labels and artwork, but that James Guthrie (to whom Waters entrusts decisions about sound – apparently Roger hasn’t even got a record player) hadn’t got round to approving Bernie Grundman’s metalwork, so he thought it would be a while before it appears, especially as once the plates are approved, it would take ages for the AP machine to get into gear., given all their other commitments…

1 Like

Dread, not sure how near you are to London, but once I get my copy, you’re more than welcome to pop round my hovel and give it a listen on my Fruitbox/Olive/Dynaudio setup.

2 Likes

I’m not sure you’d want me round your gaff! :joy:
(Bit like the unwanted dodgy visitor who turns up on your doorstep that you forgot you drunkenly invited whilst holidaying abroad :joy:)
Happy with the view of some listeners on this forum who trust their ears, you might be one of em

1 Like

Thank you Kev!

1 Like

AP are infamous for including stuff that doesn’t yet exist on their promo literature. It’s the vinyl equivalent of vapourware. They first started touting the 4-LP 45rpm Amused To Death in 2017 and the Animals SACD in 2018. Apparently the latter is stuck in the pipeline due to Gilmour’s intransigence (it’s otherwise finished, and Guthrie’s mix is by all accounts spectacular), while the former is just taking a very long time, although I have been told it might appear in November. I’ll believe it when I see it!

What I don’t understand is why Nangle is offering it (the 45 KoB) for pre-order when nobody else is. Not even Acoustic Sounds.

From my inbox, looking forward to this…

The wait is nearly over. No doubt many of you will be pleased to hear that the LP of Don Rendell Ian Carr Quintet - Blue Beginnings will finally be shipping from a week tomorrow, Thursday the 3rd of June. All our vinyl copies are already accounted for, but if you missed out, the CD version is available to pre-order now and will be shipping in two to three weeks.
Listen to the album here: jazzinbritain.co.uk/album/blue-beginnings

3 Likes

Got some nice records n iFi ave ya Whasyer address?
20210526_182621

1 Like

I have the download and I must say, considering it was recorded in 1964 the sound quality is really very good !
Hope you enjoy it

2 Likes

Cheers!

1 Like

I’d all but given up on owning this AP Kind of Blue as I was just priced out at £200 but thanks to Kev it looks like I’ll get a copy at £100 I’ve had a confirmation email and payment taken from the official Miles Davis store. Can’t wait.

AUHQR_0004__148512__04062021074416-7286

3 Likes

PS. Sometimes things do actually live up to the hype.

You havent heard it yet!
:roll_eyes:

Very interesting video where Chad K discusses the new KOB and the hand pressing.

1 Like