What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

2 Likes

Just ordered this, out in a couple of weeks but now on Tidal and Bandcamp.

Very nice.

1 Like

Can you clarify the source of the info, cant find any reference on Rhino official site stating mastered from original tapes (which can mean anything), not saying it isn’t but Rhino can be a bit hit n miss.

All the official Rhino site says;
Charles’s second “true” studio album for Atlantic, after The Great Ray Charles. While he released R&B singles for the pop market during his time with the label, he used his LPs to explore modern jazz. Here he is heard both on piano and alto sax. 140-gram vinyl.

Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds.

I actually bought this a while back - right at the start of this month. I would have loved the Craft one-step but it seemed to have sold out before even going on sale, or even being announced here (looks like all were bought by flippers, and I’m not willing to pay £250 for a copy, sorry). So I managed to find a shop selling the standard LP on Amazon and placed my order. Unfortunately it has been a long wait. So long that I’ve finally given up hope of receiving it. And now I can no longer source a copy, so I’m going to have to wait until it’s reissued, which could be a while… Such is the way with vinyl these days - it can be a bit of a lottery.

3 Likes

A nice delivery from Diverse Vinyl just turned up in the shape of this Blue Note Tone Poet:

10 Likes

Fantastic album! :+1:
:heart:

1 Like

I’ve had a bit of a splurge; some of the delights that have turned up in the last couple of weeks. My wife has just booked us into a cottage for a week in June, in Dumfries and Galloway, (HOW MUCH?!) so I might have to curb my spending for a bit - at least I have plenty to listen to.

Cheers,

Ian

7 Likes

For more great Hammond that isn’t Jimmy Smith, If you havent already check out Dr Lonnie Smith - All In My Mind, Tone Poet

After his 2016 return to Blue Note where he first made a name for himself with a run of classic soul jazz albums between 1968-70, Hammond B-3 organ legend Dr. Lonnie Smith recorded All In My Mind during his 75th birthday celebration in July 2017 at the Jazz Standard in New York City with guitarist Jonathan Kreisberg and drummer Jonathan Blake. The album gets its first-time vinyl release with this 5-song Tone Poet Edition which features spirited interpretations of songs by Wayne Shorter (“Juju”), Freddie Hubbard (“Up Jumped Spring”) Paul Simon (“50 Ways to Leave Your Lover”), and more.
:heart:

My favourite are Johnny Hammond Smith and Dr Lonnie Smith.
Guess from what years for the first one?

1 Like

5 Likes

Richard, here not a flipper, but flipping out for the mighty fine sound-quality…

4 Likes

Enjoy jodl. By the time word was out here they were all sold out and plenty available since on the resell market but all for crazy prices.

Guess I have been lucky. I hit the button 4 p.m. sharp and, voila…very happy with this…
With that great interest in vinyl (reissues) I think there will be another opportunity for those, who missed out on the craft in the hopefully not so far future…
Regards,
Jodl

I found an old/new OJC copy on Amazon due arrive the next couple of days I’ll post as soon as it arrives.

How much were they new?

IIRC it was $100.

Well, this arrived today. Oh my giddy aunt!

I first heard Captain Beefheart many years ago when at a time I didn’t appreciate such music and promptly dismissed it as ‘not my thing’. I have no idea what that album was.

As time has passed and now with maturity and a better appreciation it was time to revisit what the Captain has to offer so I ordered this and wow, magnificent!

6 Likes

Right so these guys are trying to flip them at nearly 4x. I can quite understand the reluctance to fuel this behaviour. If only there was a way to prevent these people being able to buy them. I think Porsche have developed some method to prevent flipping with some of their rare 911s.

Is that the Third Man version @Martin.M?

No It’s the Reprise one. I’ve heard of the Third Man recordings but don’t appreciate what the difference is. Is the Third Man better?