What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

A sound thrashing perhaps?

1 Like

Arrived today. Scratches, surface whooshes and all. Why would a label go to such lengths to ensure better SQ, then stuff the disc into a cardboard sandwich too small to accommodate it?
Having said that, I’m now faced with either sending back this disc to, in all likelihood, receive back another copy with similar intrinsic defects, or just suck up the defects and enjoy what it a clearly enhanced version of an old favourite. There is clearly more information, separation, drama and impact to this than my existing versions. It’s also great to have all the extended coda’s, especially ‘Why Worry’ where the extra minutes are just beautiful. I’ve had this in digital hi res versions, but not before on Vinyl.
Despite the gripes, strangely, I’m glad I have it and I think I’d recommend this reissue. Just be ready to suppress your inner rage and enjoy what’s on offer. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I had exactly the same experience. Big scratch on one side, had to go back. The replacement was clean.

I have this and it’s done at Kevin Grays Cohearant Studios and is pretty good.

And you’re the man to do it :wink:

Personally I wouldnt accept it, as Dave has said he got a clean copy, it’s probably a few isolated examples.
If we accept this sort of rubbish we can expect record companies/pressing plants to give us more of the same.
:heart:

2 Likes

Send it back.

If you bought it from Amazon, I’d suggest waiting to near the end of the return window before ordering a replacement, which you can do before returning the first copy. That way you stand a better chance of the second copy being from a different batch.

2 Likes

I bought it from the Mark Knopfler website (at great expense) as Amazon was sold out. It’s not terrible and I’m not sure a replacement will be any better.
IMO, most of the problems arise from a newly pressed record being squeezed into an ill-fitting cardboard inner. They’ll very probably all have some kind of issue.
The record companies are just dumb. Why go to all that trouble with mastering and ruin it all in the final production process?

Know what you mean.
I had three really crap, noisy pressings before giving up. :sob:

ready for this weekend - Cat Stevens tea for the Tilerman (orginal ) & Al Stewart Year of the cat

9 Likes

I quite agree. It just nuts selling these things as “audiophile quality” and going to the effort of promoting how they do this or that with the production (half speed mastering, name the guy who does it like he’s a film star) and then shove the record in a rubbish cardboard sleeve where it probably gets scratched.

5 Likes

Pink Floyd and Lars Winnerbäck…

4 Likes

No reason why you cant and shouldn’t send it back, just send them an email. If you dont get satisfaction, contact your credit card issuer if you paid that way. Dont stress its simple :+1:
(Not trying to be funny, but if you dont who’s laughing? Not you)

@TheKevster @steviebee little bird in my inbox just sweetly tweeted Abbey Lincoln despatched, hopefully here tomorrow. Whoohoooo!

2 Likes

I have, on occasion, used a craft knife to slit down the side of cardboard inner sleeves when these have been ‘stuck’ to the record with static. After a clean I then put them in anti static inner sleeves. It’s usually because the artist or record company decides to use the inner sleeve for lyrics or the like. What’s wrong with a simple paper insert for lyrics and decent inner sleeves? I’m sure it wouldn’t make too much of a dent in profits.

2 Likes

I had a similar experience with Abbey Road half speed masters bought from Abbey Road.

One was John Martyn - Solid Air which had a 20 click scratch on side two. I contacted them and they said they had no more stock. They issued a full refund and told me to keep the record.

The second was Genesis - Seconds Out, which was warped. It played ok but I was unhappy with the amount of warping. Abbey Road sent a replacement copy which was less warped but warped nonetheless. I was told to keep both copies.

I think it’s worth talking to the supplier to sort out anything you are not happy with.

4 Likes

New to me but I like it!

I can hear Style Council, Altered Images, Orange Juice and something else I can’t quite place…Clever, catchy, bouncy stuff. Nice

Maybe worth trying an exchange. My first copy had a duff side - all the things you mention; the replacement was excellent.

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

At last! Universal’s fulfillment for Blue Note has been p*ss poor. Pre-ordered in the March sale for a good price (saw HMV asking £70 for Passing Ships!). Anyway the turntable beckons.

2 Likes

Don’t really buy from The River much any more, but at £17 this Neil Young three-sided live LP was worth grabbing.

7 Likes