What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I agree.

1 Like

Paul Weller - Pick it Up

Finally completing my Saturn’s Pattern 7" box set.

1 Like

Greetings Graeme, fine album, do you know the song 96 degrees In The Shade is really about the 1865 Morant Bay Rebellion in Jamaica. A post slavery atrocity committed on Black Jamaicans by the British Colonial Government.
Paul Bogle who lead the rebellion and was subsequently hung (amongst hundreds of others murdered and flogged in a brutal act of British oppression) is a Jamaican Hero.

Jamaica’s Morant Bay Rebellion: brutality and outrage in the British empire - HistoryExtra

:heart:

2 Likes

Morning Dread, I do know that. This is one of the songs that made Third World a firm favourite of mine back in the 70’s. I love songs which act as a vehicle for helping to keep history alive, “lest we forget”!

My new copy is a 2019 pressing which has the lyrics on the inner sleeve along with a summary of the events in the song.

1 Like

Well I listen to Stooges & MC5…

3 Likes

Also worth checking @Graeme is the Hip-O Select limited edition CD from a while back. Nice remastered sound and includes the original single mix version of 1865 and alternates of Feel A Little Better & Rhythm Of Life

1 Like

In terms of sound quality, today’s purchases stand in complete contrast to a lot of my recent acquisitions. Each is quiet, dead silent in fact. Astonishing clarity. There is no reason all other records should not meet the same standard! Completely restored my faith in vinyl as a medium after I have bought a few records recently that have had hiss, snaps and crackles. Nothing major, but enough to make me wonder if this is the new normal. Brand new from artists like David Gray (on my second copy) and St Vincent (due to get a fourth!).

k.d. lang - Ingénue 25th anniversary 2LP
Toumani Diabaté - Kôrôlén (with the London Symphony Orchestra)

These are both simply stunning. Beautiful music, beautifully recorded, and beautifully presented on vinyl.

8 Likes

Triple Orange Can

…and a happy banana!

3 Likes

Glad to see your having some better luck

1 Like

Chet Baker and His Quintet With Bobby Jaspar - Barclay / Sam Records (2013)

This completes the trio of recordings I have remastered and reissued by Sam Records in France from the Barclay originals.

4 Likes

You mean these three, right Bob? Great choice really excellent editions! :smiley:

Post deleted.

Deleted eh?

You bought Brothers In Arms dincha?
Admit it!

:crazy_face: :rofl:

3 Likes

Bah! Rumbled! :grimacing:

3 Likes

Yes they are very nicely done I love the photographic prints of Chet and the story behind these recordings with the tragic loss of DT and the breaking up of the original band adds such poignancy to them.

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series Pre Order

5 Likes

A treat from Stevie Nicks
Made in Germany

3 Likes

Headband on, tennis racket guitar!

Different album though

2 Likes

I recently bought this superb Speakers Corner pressing, just got a back in stock email from Pure Pleasure records, if this is your bag I highly recommend grabbing a copy before it goes again

650abd98-8463-48bd-9984-1355a58d5b0d

It was John Lewis, pianist of the Modern Jazz Quartet, who brought Ornette Coleman to the renowned Atlantic label, having heard him play in Los Angeles. »Ornette Coleman is doing the only really new thing in jazz …« he reportedly said.

The present initial Atlantic album was released just in time to coincide with the New York debut of the Coleman Quartet in November 1959. Lewis was sure that Coleman would open up new paths for jazz, and his opinion is reflected in the title of the album – “The Shape Of Jazz To Come”. After the rather worn-out hard bop routine of the past years, this music was like a breath of fresh air. The fast numbers (“Eventuality”, “Chronology”) remind one of wildly hyped-up bebop. Other numbers (“Congeniality”, “Focus On Sanity”) juggle with catchy, almost folk like short motifs. This album contains two of Coleman’s most beautiful compositions: “Peace” and “Lonely Woman”, which was later given lyrics and often heard in its vocal version.

The Mulligan-Baker Quartet provided the model for the pianoless quartet – and when the band swings along once in a while with a moderato tempo, it is truly reminiscent of cool jazz. Be that as it may, the two wind instrumentalists just love the frenetic ‘cry’ and the intentionally ‘imprecise’ interplay. Clearly defined stanzas or traditional harmonic forms were not for them. The jazz musicologist Peter N. Wilson wrote: »A record, which is not unjustifiably so entitled« about this LP which was given 5 stars by the magazine Rolling Stone.

Recording: May 1959 at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, CA, by Bones Howe
Production: Nesuhi Ertegun

AAA RECORDING

5 Likes

This has been on order for ages, been delayed a few times, and is finally here. Somehow a download just isn’t the same.

2 Likes