What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I believe it’s produced by Omnivore Recordings and cut by Kevin Gray.

I have a couple of excellent Omnivore Art Pepper reissues but other than that I don’t know much about them.

From Second disc website.

BMG’s reissue has been produced by Omnivore Recordings’ Cheryl Pawelski and features new liner notes by author-historian Daphne A. Brooks. The rollout of the release began yesterday – the start of African-American Music Appreciation Month – with a digital release of the audio as remastered by Michael Graves. It’s available in both high-resolution and standard download/streaming audio. Then, on July 16, a clear blue 180-gram vinyl pressing will be released exclusively at Barnes & Noble locations and online. Finally, on August 13, the CD and 180-gram black vinyl pressings will be out everywhere. Kevin Gray has cut the vinyl.

1 Like

The Omnivore Nighthawk label Reggae titles look interesting if their well sourced. I have a few original Nighthawk’s a fine label, one of the very first to take the music seriously and properly document it.
:heart:

Lee Morgan - The Rajah, Blue Note Tone Poet (2021)

4 Likes

Peggy Lee - Black Coffee, Decca Acoustic Sounds, (2021)

Found this for £18 with a bent corner from Amazon so if the disc is effected in any way it can go back.

6 Likes

I’m listening to this now. :+1:

1 Like

Another tasty treat from Pure Pleasure –

1 Like

Hi Kev, as you are aware of all the lp news. Do you know if that new lp , reissue probably, sounds good?

1 Like

A new name to me, care to give us a bit of a description, cheers

Hi Dread

Kelly was (is) a vibes player from California. He played with a number of jazz greats in the 1960s-80s like Ahmad Jamal, Bobby Watson and was the vibesman of choice for Marvin Gaye and the Crusaders. A brilliant player but quite reclusive, he only made three albums as leader: Limited Stop is on the legendary Nimbus West label. A real spiritual jazz cult classic, with a vibes/bass/drums/flute lineup it goes for three figures these days. So this PP reissue is most welcome. Will let you know about the SQ when I listen to it later.

1 Like

I haven’t heard it yet, FR.

1 Like

Nice one, cheers!

Just arrived from Jazz In Britain

Don Rendell Ian Carr Quintet - Blue Beginnings

Nicely packaged with poly lined inner and a poly outer, none of that horrid shrink wrap and a facsimile EMI press release which is a nice touch

And…
Courtesy Dougie Wardrop from his Conscious Sounds Studio in deepest Hackney
Adam Prescott meets Dougie Conscious
The Dub Session (could have come up with a better title!)
Heavy UK Digi Dub, 300 copies only

And a couple of stickers for the LP12 plinth!

4 Likes

I have just ordered some more Blake Sleeves. Until then they can stay in the original wrapper (sounds like a Lou Reed song coming on) :grin:

Herbie Hancock - Round Midnight OST, Columbia (2002)

I’ve seen this record for sale lots of times but never looked at it perhaps it was the cover that put me off however after watching one of Herbie’s lectures where he describes Chet coming in and doing one track in one take and absolutely nailing it
I went on youtube and found the song ‘Fair Weather’ it’s criminal as a Chet Baker fan that I’ve never heard this recording as it’s incredibly beautiful but not only that the soundtrack which Herbie won an Oscar for beating Ennio Morricone ‘The Mission’ is supposedly very, very good and was all recorded live.

I must watch the film now.

4 Likes

That’s a coincidence - I was starting a bit of a sort out of my records yesterday (I hadn’t organised them very well when I moved house a few years ago) and I found various jazz compilations that I had overlooked, including my copy of this soundtrack - I must listen to it again. I have never seen the film unfortunately, but it’s probably not expensive on DVD.

1 Like

just ordered and paid for, have most of their albums but none on vinyl- until now

Picked this up as I walked in the record store on RSD. Perfect album on a sunny day like today.

Rex’ vinyl #44

Curtis Mayfield - Roots
Pressing 2021 / Curtom Rhino Black

12 Likes

This morning got a delivery from Diverse Vinyl, as the postie handed over the package, she said “you won’t believe how many LPs, I’ve delivered this morning “. Obviously, business must be brisk for the vinyl market.

These two LPs, Katanga, by Curtis Amy and Dupree Bolton and Love and Hate by Michael Kiwanuka both have been highlighted by forum members, I can’t remember who but thank you.

I’ll be listening to these later, at this time the garden is calling and I have my scruffs on.

5 Likes

Two from RSD 2021. I forgot about it and walked in to my local store on spec.

Amy Winehouse - Remixes (on transparent yellow and blue vinyl. Hmm).
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go.

5 Likes