What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I walked in the record store for drop one of RSD. Was hoping this album was still there and managed to snatch the last one. Flat heavy limited edition pressing, very nice matte gatefold. Going to give it a spin now.

Rex’ vinyl #45

Donny Hathaway - Live
Pressing 2021 / RSD 2021 Atco

9 Likes

Ho Graeme, please let us know how Is the pressing quality of the Steely Dan’s lp. Mine Is not exceptional, noisy on both sides an with clics and pops, mostly on the last song.
Not a great pressing job. Just for the sake of precision, I washed the record right before playing It.
Very good lp, by the way, mastering Is ok. Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Mines is still sealed but will let you know in due course.

I have put mine through the RCM and had a good listen. Side one has six clicks on it. Side two does really well until the last track as you say and is quite poor. The problem is non-fill if I am not mistaken. It’s the lines of white dots in the picture below and can’t be fixed. Looks like it’s in track 3 too but I can’t hear it there.

I asked at the shop where I bought the record what happens if there is a problem and they shrugged and said can’t get replacements. I did however get a hefty discount off my purchases today as a regular customer.

1 Like

Walked into an actual record store and bought 4 records on RSD. What’s more surprising is that all 4 are perfectly pressed and sound fantastic.

Ian Dury - 12” Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick. Never been pressed on a 12” before. Sounds amazing.

The Police - Live Vol 1 & 2. Never been on vinyl before. Both sound amazing. The Bed’s Too Big Without You took me by surprise. Incredible.

Tom Petty blue vinyl. Another fantastic sounding, perfectly pressed vinyl.

Lots of fantastics and amazings, but they are.

7 Likes

Graeme, thank for your detailed analysis :+1: I cannot say I am glad you have my same issues but at least I am still able to judge a record :blush:

Shame really because it’s a good quality recording, let down by the manufacturer.

I agree with you, not only a good recording but also a good mastering

1 Like

I thought I’d like the Amy remixes but my aversion to coloured vinyl and the thought of a busy town centre was enough to cure me instead I decided to educate myself on all things Shabaka Hutchings.

I have an automatic reaction to things I perceive as being very fashionable and for no good reason other than good old fashioned inverted snobbery choose to close my ears. Luckily for me I bought a Yazz Ahmed record recently on which Shabaka plays beautifully this led me to The Comet is Coming and Shabaka And The Ancestors last LP’s and lastly and quite poignantly today as it’s the queen’s birthday The Sons of Kemet’s ’ Your Queen is a Reptile’ from 2018.

5 Likes

I went for the Amy Remix album in spite of the coloured vinyl. I’m pleased to say there is one click on side one and a tiny crackle on side four. Other than that, it’s perfect. It’s as flat as a flat thing. One of the best made records I own.

On the other hand, looks like you picked up some gooduns there!

Great news Graeme some great mixes on there Unfortunately wether I want a copy or not they are now in the hands of the evil eBay flippers.

Grr!!

1 Like

I can see some sellers still have it. If you haven’t tried already, the RSD site gives a list of participating stockists up to 50 miles from any city name you type in, along with their websites.

I just go down the list, popping into each. In fact have now ordered copies of both I missed yesterday.

1 Like

I can see Amy Remix already listed for profit , I was fortunate to bag a few albums

TRex
Steely Dan
Police Live 1 and 2

3 Likes

My RSD 2021 purchases, yet to get any of them played but to be honest there’s nothing there that I don’t already have on another format etc.

The Bernard Butler LP from 1998 is first time on vinyl, great album that I’ve visited many times over the years. Belle & Sebastian’s ‘boy with the Arab strap’ is on green vinyl, a truly wonderful album.

I’m looking forward to the Primal Scream Riot City Blues sessions, notwithstanding the green and red records I’m also really keen to delve into it. I thought the Give out but don’t give up Memphis recordings was exceptional and if this is in a similar vein I’ll be happy.

I must admit to swithering massively with Noel Gallagher, I have all his LPs and 12” so this compilation only has 2 tracks I haven’t got elsewhere and layer on top of that the fact that the man isn’t really my cup of tea, I was leaning towards not getting it. But it’s such a nice package and the 2 colour vinyl looks the part so I succumbed and became another RSD statistic!!!

4 Likes

I’m waiting for Amazon to ship them.

The film is wonderful

2 Likes

Excellent I’ll keep an eye out.

5 Likes

I managed to snag the one RSD 1st Drop item I was really after – the remixed 1977 Suzi Quatro live LP (first time on vinyl outside of Japan/Aus)

3 Likes