What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

What a beautiful looking LP!

7 Likes

Just curious Bob, you previously in quite strong terms slagged off and dismissed much of this new UK Black British “Jazz” music, including Shabaka Hutchings & SOK in a way that could be viewed, as I pointed out to you at the time, as going a bit further than mere snobbery.
Like/dislike is your choice of course, but I’m interested in what has brought about the apparent change of heart.
Cheers
:heart:

Just arrived from What Records…

13 Likes

Treated myself to the Craft pressing of Abbey is Blue - Abbey Lincoln.

I don’t usually go fo female vocal jazz but I have had good success with other Craft pressings. Spinning this now and it is truly wonderful. This is a studio recording but it feels like I am in a bar letting the music flow over me. Highly recommended.

12 Likes

My RSD haul. Only played ‘Two Against Nature’ (busy putting up a fence) but it is a superb pressing and sonically far better than my cd version.

4 Likes

Her voice is incredible, as is the choice of material, the performance of the musicians… a perfect album in every way.

4 Likes

This triple LP arrived earlier. I cannot wait to hear it – the lineup alone malkes it worth auditioning.

4 Likes

That looks interesting Kev, another KG Master as well, did you get an advance copy I’m seeing it listed as available RSD 17th July followed by release on 23rd?
How was the PP Rickey Kelly?

Probably my favourite Impulse label recording and I only own it on beer mat!

Just take one look at the musicians on this!

Pre ordered the Acoustic Sounds Series

Oliver Nelson - Blues & The Abstract Truth

Oliver NELSON - The Blues & The Abstract Truth 1961 Vinyl at Juno Records.

20210616_114138

10 Likes

A lovely trio of white label LPs from Pure Pleasure: Charles Tolliver/Music Inc – Live at Slugs’ Volumes 1 & 2; and Ben Webster Live at Pio’s.

The Tollivers were originally on Strata-East and were remastered by Ray Staff, while the Webster was on Enja and has been mastered by Cicely Baston.

3 Likes

The PP Kelley was fabulous Dread. Yes, I got an advance copy of the Brooks – going to listen to it later if I have time.

1 Like

Just took delivery of this, Steven Wilson, The Future Bites.

5 Likes

Bought ‘pre-loved’, on Discogs.

In need of a clean, but responded well… :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Another LP received today, this needed a good brush and clean on the RCM to remove what I can only describe as gold coloured vinyl swarf.

It’s sounds good now though.
Karen Souza, Essentials.

1 Like

I wonder how they compare sound-wise with Mosaic’s treatment on the Tolliver Strata-East Mosaic Select?

I have all the Strata-East Pure Pleasure reissues and they all sound fab to my ears. I don’t think I’ve heard any of the Mosaic Selects you mention, so I can’t make the comparison. But I can’t recall anyone who’s said anything negative about the Pure Pleasure Strata-Easts. And they’re a lot cheaper than an original 1970s copy.

Generally, if I find a version of something I’m happy with, I don’t waste time fretting about whether there’s a “better” version out there.

3 Likes

Mosaic’s work with the 3CD set was pretty damn good - so I’ll likely just stick with this. Good that they are back out there though !

The Select also includes ‘Live in Tokyo’.

Likewise :+1:

Incoming for the weekend spin up. All arrived in mint condition especially the London Grammar 45.rpm 2 LP. Micro Diamond Technology :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside:

4 Likes

This should be good, coming in August

Eric Bibb - Dear America 2LP

if you could call out to your country, what would you say? when eric bibb embarked on the title song that would galvanize his latest album, ‘dear america’, the songwriter found himself unpacking a seven-decade relationship with a partner of dramatic extremes.

bibb has known many different americas, the good, the bad and the ugly. born in new york city on august 16th, 1951, the thunderbolt of the sixties folk revival remains an era so alive in the 69-year-old’s memory. yet just as vivid are the dark societal flashpoints of the last year, when protesters highlighted the open wound of us race relations while a bitter presidential election scrawled jagged battlelines. “this album is a love letter,” bibb explains of the record’s root concept, “because america, for all of its associations with pain and its bloody history, has always been a place of incredible hope and optimism. you see young people now and it’s amazing, with the whole black lives matter movement. all of those things let me know that there is a kind of reverberation from that sixties energy. you can’t keep a good thing down.” recorded before the pandemic shuttered the world’s recording studios, the chemistry on ‘dear america’ is palpable, with each musician playing with the emotional commitment demanded by the material. in november 2019, the bandleader hit brooklyn’s studio g to track the album with producer/co-writer glen scott, along with a studio band featuring the talismanic drummer steve jordan and memphis guitar sensation eric gales. what resulted is a thoughtful record that brings bibb full circle, taking the pulse of these febrile times while returning the songwriter to his proud roots in new york. “my home now is sweden,” says bibb, “but new york city was where i came of age. so to be there, recording this album that had so much to do with my whole journey – it was really inspiring.” and yet, just as the history of the united states has both light and shade, so does ‘dear america’. it’s a record that laces its exploration of the nation’s most poisonous issues with hope, love and a brighter road ahead. all is not lost, stresses bibb, and neither are we. bibb leaves no doubt that the future is ours to write

5 Likes