What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

The Boplicity issue of Meets The Rhythm Section is the best of the lot. Possibly one of the best sounding bits of vinyl I own.

2 Likes

That will be the easiest few quid Bernie Grundman ever makes then!

All the RSD purchases are in. :smiley:

3 Likes

This triple LP arrived last week. I just played it and… what a pity! The music is great, but the sounds isn’t so fabulous. I could live with that, but the pressing is absolutely diabolical! Noisy and plagued with no-fill. Back it goes, I guess…

1 Like

Acoustic Sounds reissue

Mingus_BSTS

6 Likes

Is this out yet?

I’ve been playing the Boplicity reissues of these this evening (trying to convince myself - not very successfully - that I’m just fine without the Solstice, but that’s another story…) and they are both superb. Hard to see how much better the Crafts will be. However, something tells me I will find out sooner or later…

1 Like

About 20 or so years ago I was lucky enough to see a live recreation of ‘Art Pepper Plus 11’. Some of the original lineup were involved and the lead role was capably undertaken by Herb Geller.

2 Likes

September 24th I believe but available on pre order also Mingus, Mingus, Mingus both are 100% AAA from the original master tapes by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound and pressed at QRP.

1 Like

It seems like another must have AAA remaster is released every other day and though it’s difficult to resist these purchases do begin to mount up.

1 Like

For those Contemporary LPs, including the Peppers, a good alternative option is to seek out the UK Vogue issues if you can find them. Sadly, not as common s/h as they used to be. I did find a ‘Way Out West’ a while back though.

I preferred the Boplicitys - immaculately pressed on silent vinyl, and so very alive.

Interesting !

That’s a shame, thanks for the report though I was going to look out for that one
:heart:

There is speculation that some of the titles in the AS Series may not be from original 1st generation masters as they may have been amongst those lost in the fire

The Universal fire? It seems that fewer original tapes were lost in that fire than was first feared. A lot of the old jazz master tapes were apparently already in storage at Universal’s Iron Mountain facility in Pennsylvania when the fire happened – this I got from the horse’s mouth (Pat Kraus, Universal’s chief archivist).

Not sure where you’ve seen this speculation, but I suspect it is jusrt that – speculation. Unless Kraus was lying, of course.

2 Likes

The Tubby Hayes Sextet - Tubby The Tenor, Waxtime (2021)

No not a Tone Poet or an Acoustic Sounds but the other three Waxtime DMM I own are more than listenable and at £13 a bargain.

Recorded when Tubby went over to New York 1961 to take part in a musicians exchange that saw Zoot Sims playing at Ronnie Scotts. As well as Clark Terry and Eddie Costa the record also features one of my favourite piano players Horace Parlan.

2 Likes

I wonder did you hear about Alice Coltrane’s Ptah the El Daoud masters Kev rumours where flying around that they too where destroyed in that fire and you’d have to think if they where not then why not a reissue it would sell by the bucket load.

Hi Kev, yes the Universal I cant recall where I read the speculation (Hoffman, Analogue Planet, US Press) but apparently Universal were reportedly searching the world for and recalling alternative tapes. If I can find the article I’ll share it.
No I’ve no evidence to suggest lying and I wouldnt, however my understanding is that Universal did to some degree try to hush things up, until exposed by one of the US newspapers.
The speculation as you say may be just that and unfounded but perhaps not entirely unjustified.
:heart:

Your avin a laugh!