What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Clive if possible order to be delivered to a collection point this way even if you are out it will be kept there for you rather than left on your doorstep.

Many thanks - I have Idle Moments on an older vinyl version so will go for Midnight Blue, which I only have on CD. Although I’m sure the new pressings are superior, I have a fair number of Blue Note issues on LP from the past, so am going for filling the gaps.

I do have a 75th Anniversary copy of Idle Moments but am hoping this
‘Classic Vinyl’ is better but like you don’t have Midnight Blue.

This was today’s trip to Southbound Records in Auckland

3 Likes

Katanga is stunning. I’ve just got this too an this tone poets cut mastered beautifully

5 Likes

Tis a great record. Your cousin must be justifiably proud!

1 Like

One of the all time best

1 Like

I agree :+1:
:heart:

Where did you find the Duke Pearson one? Im having trouble finding it.

Arrived today from Juno records…

On the same label Easy Eye Records as The Black Keys - Delta Kream which I also recently bought on vinyl.
I came to this guy following a post on the WYLT thread and have been loving and streaming it in anticipation of this LP release.
Marvelous Blues, Soul n Gospel flavours from Robert Finley produced by Black Keys Dan Auerbach, well worth checking out.
Green vinyl though, so fingers crossed for the pressing!

AllMusic Review by Thom Jurek

Sharecropper’s Son is the third album from soul-gospel singer-songwriter Robert Finley, and his second collaboration with producer and co-writer Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys. Between 2016’s raw Age Don’t Mean a Thing, 2017’s wonderfully holistic Goin’ Platinum!, and the present, Finley got national visibility when he was invited to compete on America’s Got Talent. On Sharecropper’s Son, Finley, producer Dan Auerbach, and their all-star studio cast pull out all the stops; they present this remarkable singer with an expansive yet rootsy musical palette.

As the title suggests, Finley offers autobiographical songs filled with gritty tales of hard luck, wrecked love, spirituality, empathy, and redemption. Opener “Souled Out on You” is a tragic love story. Finley’s first notes are delivered in a remarkable falsetto, buoyed by upright piano, sloping horns, shuffling drums, and stinging guitar. His searing voice is framed in production that loosely recalls Norman Whitfield’s psychedelic soul approach at Motown. Auerbach’s ringing guitar breaks add a bluesy edge to the proceedings. Choogling swagger fuels “Make Me Feel Alright” which weds country-blues to soaring Southern soul and gritty barroom R&B as horns and drums underscore each line. Both “Country Child” and “Country Boy” are rooted in swampy blues and reflect the influence of Auerbach’s work with Tony Joe White. The former unwinds with a midtempo shuffle as a distorted riff meets snaky single-string guitar work as Finley shifts between a growl, his falsetto, and a soul croon. The latter is a crawling swamp blues elevated by Finley’s grainy falsetto as he reflects on the world’s pain and turmoil. His delivery nods to Curtis Mayfield’s signature phrasing as slide guitar and a simmering B-3 illuminate his words. The title track is introduced by a Wurlitzer piano before a popping bassline and snare shuffle introduce Finley’s autobiographical testimony. He sounds like a backwoods gospel preacher supported by bleating baritone saxes as a wailing harmonica prods him on. “My Story” weds the aesthetics of Stax and Hi Records in a glorious meld of soul and gospel; Finley’s vocal is rife with conviction. His singing on “I Can Feel Your Pain” channels Al Green, and his ballad style is less polished but no less adept at delivering uncommon emotional depth. “Better Than I Treat Myself” is a horn-drenched stroll through Allen Toussaint’s New Orleans R&B. Ringing, funky guitars slip atop snare breaks and rocking piano to frame Finley’s joyous delivery. Closer “All My Hope” is a showcase for Finley’s decades as a gospel singer, and its slow country guitar and Wurlitzer shuffle are elevated by a female chorus; Finley draws on their strength as he soars above the accompaniment. The nearly symbiotic pairing of Finley and Auerbach on Sharecropper’s Son is deep and resonant. Finley’s singing radiates with hard-won experience and gratitude, and his producer succeeds in reflecting that spiritual power and emotional honesty without self-reference or artifice.

2 Likes

Cool Struttin’ by Sonny Clark; wonderful album reissued here with superb sound thanks to a cut by Kevin Gray.

9 Likes

Great choice! I have both the Classic records 33 and the Music Matters 33 so passed on the Blue Note Classic edition but I’m sure that’s truly superb too. And the music!..goes without saying, everyone should have a copy of this imo

Bit of a bundle to spin. Think Phaedra is my fave :grinning:

3 Likes

It’s sounding amazing right now. I had to go into the kitchen to check in the duck in cooking for dinner and left the doors open - I sounded like the band were playing in the house.

2 Likes

Did you start doing a Duck walk?

Mine’s at the Post Office good to know it’s of good quality.

S/H 70’s Dutch reissue… :sunglasses: :notes:

3 Likes

Its Al Pacino!

1 Like

Great Album, a bit difficult to find in NM condition but finally worth the money…

Compared to to the hardback book style packaging of the 4-CD version, this is really disappointing – just three vinyl LPs stuffed into a single sleeve. No notes, pictures, info – nothing.