What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Wanted to buy 1 “Dead Can Dance” but couldn’t decide which one so bought 5! All remastered around 2016 and slowly working my way though them…

10 Likes

Now that you are discovering the late (and remarkable) Weller, I can only suggest you “True Meanings” and “Other aspects”, on these also SQ is very good indeed…

1 Like

Music on Vinyl reissue of The Last Emperor soundtrack. Excellent pressing. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Wonderful album. Some of Catherine’s soloing really sings.

2 Likes

To me True Meanings trumps On Sunset and Fat Pop.
Beautiful album.
The live show at the Festival Hall is highly recommended.

2 Likes

Every now and then Weller drops a classic collection of songs and I believe True Meanings to be one that’s not say On Sunset and Fat Pop Vol 1 are not recommended very good records but True Meanings is another level as is the triple Festival Hall recording Other Aspects which is head and shoulders above his recent Barbican recording which will probably be he first Weller record for 40 years that I don’t buy.

2 Likes

Unfortunately lots of dodgy vinyl first pressings of True Meanings, I went through 3 or 4 riddled with some of the worst non fill I’ve ever heard before capitulating and buying the beer mat.
:heart:

Three new albums arrived this week in perfect condition. All washed & ready for the Friday night Spin up. Amy Winehouse Live at the BBC , The Sensual World-Kate Bush and Half Speed Mastered at Abbey Road Studios, Dire Straits Brothers In Arms 45rpm LP.

6 Likes

Streamed this so much recently so dying to give it a spin. Good old Juno and Royal Mail - advised of dispatch at 6pm last night arrived Chateau BC at 0930 this morning.

4 Likes

Out today likely arriving tomorrow from Juno…
The first two titles in the British Jazz Explosion Series

Mastered and cut by Gearbox Records (good!) Pressed at Optimal (fingers crossed!)
Will post an update when there here and played

Edit;

Very pleased to report the quality of sound, presentation and pressing is excellent. My only very minor grumble is using those horrible self sealing outer sleeve, I placed the insert on top the open sleeve and had to carefully peel it off the sticky strip without tearing it

I think theres a grammatical error on the sleeve, shouldn’t that read One Of The Most Collectible Jazz Catalogues?

Anyway…great music much of which I’m discovering for the first time

6 Likes

I have Modern Jazz : Britain on order from Diverse Vinyl, hoping it’s going to be here today.

2 Likes

Absolutely I’m always banging on about them. Fantastic service.
I recently had a run of bad luck, the Curtis Mayfield box set, refunded including postage both ways and a good will credit added to my acount.
Then a following order 3 or 4 records totalling £100, got a badly warped Ethiopian very disappointed, duly sent a replacement same problem. Juno arranged to collect the duds and refunded me the cost of the whole order (£100) and a fiver goodwill credit to boot.

1 Like

Same here - just ordered both of these on vinyl from the usual ubiquitous seller and they are guaranteed for delivery tomorrow. Xmas has arrived early.

It will be interesting to run a check of ‘Space Walk’ against my Columbia original.

Suspect that this series will end up emptying my pockets…The ‘British Jazz Explosion’ will be the imploding of various bank accounts across the land.

4 Likes

Do let us have your report. If their anything like the Jazzman Landsdowne series I think their going to be a treat. Just the Optimal pressing leaves me crossing fingers, their QC ime ain’t what it used to be, hopefully the label specified a quality pressing

Will do - the omens are good. Columbia pressings are usually excellent, suspect it will be quite close.

Will put aside about 5 hours to read the Tony Higgins notes on the 2LP. His notes on the ‘Impressed’ compilations were encyclopaedic.

1 Like

Dont think I’ve come across those

Edit: Gilles Peterson comps, will check them out, cheers :+1:

1 Like

Early 2000s compilations put out by Universal as CD and 2LP sets. Covering the same era of British Jazz, almost a prototype of this series. Gilles Peterson was involved and Tony Higgins was Series co-ordinator. Two compilations were officially put out (plus some great single CD releases) but the 3rd only came out unofficially. Shame, as it was great !

The series also triggered the ‘Jazz Britannia’ concerts at the Barbican (was there), also televised by BBC4 together with the documentaries. A great time !

Of particular note - Mike Taylor ‘Trio’ and Amancio d’Silva ‘Integration’ appeared for a while on CD. Both now rare.

1 Like

Cheers I couldnt find any of the Impressions comps to stream, I looked on Discogs and found the first CD but looks like I have a lot of it on other albums.

I think I did see the Jazz Britannia series at the time but will have another look see if it’s still on line somewhere.

I stumbled on this while searching, for some reason theres no sound for about the first minute

Yes, both Rendell and Garrick performed at the Barbican, the lineup being a reunion of sorts of ‘Home Stretch Blues’. Garrick also appeared with his big band and played ‘Dusk Fire’ plus at least one Harriott number, if my memory is correct.

1 Like

Crikey, you had me worried for the poor bloke’s health there for a minute!

1 Like