What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I don’t have it on vinyl, sadly. Just the CD, which is enough to tell me it’s great music. I suspect it would sound better again on Vinyl tho’…

1 Like

I’ve not heard it on CD…but the Blue Thumb LP sounds great! Previously, I’ve only heard The Crusaders on radio, so this is a treat

1 Like

Their band history is a bit convoluted, but the 1970’s era is vintage. If you don’t have it then this is worth seeking out.

The timelessly wonderful title track with Randy Crawford vocal is the obvious bestseller, but the whole album is great listening. Sounds superb on (UK!) Vinyl.

10 Likes

‘Street Life’ was on Desert Island Disks today. Introduced as ‘by Randy Crawford’ with absolutely no mention of Joe Sample and co. Travesty !

4 Likes

Fwiw, I have a solo Joe Sample album on MoFi somewhere, not sure if it’s any good I’ll fish it out
:heart:

1 Like

It was a long wait for this import to arrive, but it has been well worth it. This Sony Jazz Analog Legendary Collection sounds incredible, record is pressed and packaged in a very high standard.

I don’t usually enjoy the pop-trap some musicians fall for, especially in studio recordings but a live Jazz impression of one at that time popular song can sometimes leave me unbothered. Bobby Gentry is really not for me (apologies to some), but this Trio’s interpretation of Mornin’ Glory I find just wonderful.

Gomez’ bass play is not inspiring to me throughout the entire session, but for the rest I would highly recommend this lovely record.

Rex’ vinyl #50

Bill Evans - Live in Tokyo
Pressing 2020 / Sony SIJP 1023

4 Likes

Bunny Wailer - DubD’sco (Dub Store Japan/Solomonic)

Original JA pressings of this are scarce and fetch eye watering prices on the collectors market.

Dub Store Japan re issued it in 2018 and now out of print. Somehow I got a back in stock alert from Juno for this one copy, bagged it without hesitation.

It’s mostly dub mixes of Bunny’s classic and essential solo debut LP Blackheart Man

:heart:

3 Likes

@RexManning Bill thought “Mornin’ Glory” to be one of the most harmonically and melodically interesting songs ever written, which is why it was in his book for so long. The version on that album is amazing…

1 Like

Did not know this, thanks. I hear my wife stop what she’s doing and sigh every time that song is played here. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just arrived and cleaned on the RCM.
This 2017 Kevin Gray remaster

and this one that I’ve been going to buy for over 40 years …

8 Likes

T .Rex, Electric Warrior, I bought that when it came out in 1971, I was 17. I was constantly playing it but my younger cousin wanted it, his pester power made my swap, I can’t remember what for and I regretted it.
Now, I have a copy framed on the wall, and a MOFI copy which I play, plus CD.
I have fond memories when I play it.

3 Likes

A RSD Drop 2 from Resonance Records, a 2 LP limited to 3,000
Playing now, and wonderful recordings, slient vinyl
@Richard.Dane Another excellent RTI pressing

2 Likes

4 Likes

I only ever owned Electric Warrior on cassette. I got a radio/cassette player one Christmas, 1978 maybe, along with Blondie’s “Parallel Lines”, The Police “Outlandos D’Amour” and The Beatles “Live At Shea Stadium”.
I remember getting Electric Warrior out of the bargain bin in Woolworths soon after. It finally succumbed to the car’s cassette player in the early 80’s and I’ve not heard it since. I never used a prerecorded cassette in the car again.

2 Likes

I didn’t get this one but instead the Roy Hargrove and Mulgrew Miller In Harmony, also from Resonance Records. I might look out for this one too…

1 Like

I picked this up in HMV on Friday for a reasonable price.

I first bought this in the early 1970s on cassette to play on my mono Philips EL3302 player.

A few years ago I bought it on CD.

Assuming there are no other formats available this completes the set. (Streaming not allowed!)

3 Likes

From the Amstel Octet & Chet Baker - Hazy Hugs, Lime Tree Records (1985)

Hazy Hugs is a project initiated by the Dutch Amstel Octet, a band including bassist and long-time Chet Baker collaborator Hein Van De Geyn, who also composed most of the titles on this album.

2 Likes

Chet Baker & Lee Konitz - In Concert, India Navigation (1982)

Recorded in New York in 1974.

1 Like

Russ Freeman & Richard Twardzik - Trio, Pacific Jazz/Vogue Mono (1959)

1 Like

New Order - Lost Sirens

Associates - Wild And Lonely

Both from Wow And Flutter Records in Hastings. £20 for New Order and £7 for Associates. New Order graded as NM and Associates as EX- but after a spin on the record cleaner for both of them I’d agree with the New Order grading and say that Associates is EX+/NM. Very happy with that haul.

1 Like