What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Hi Kevster,
Initially I thought that was a vinyl re-issue of the 2004 2CD which has pretty rubbish SQ.
Thankfully it doesn’t appear so, being a compilation of mainly 7" single versions.
I found the recent re-issues of the individual albums mastered by Finyl Tweek (look in the dead wax) fairly good but cant find any information on this new Greatest Hits set, can you shed any light?
Cheers
:heart:

I received this a few weeks ago but only just giving it a play now. Really good cut by Kevin Gray, and none of the Optimal non-fill issues that can occasionally ruin their pressings. Very happy, so far…

13 Likes

The Earth record is unearthly good! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got these two as LP. Discovered The Builders and Butchers some years ago, and the two first records needs to be in my collection. Folk rock with somewhat dark themes and intense performance. The band usually has two drummers! :slight_smile: Listening to this on the new ATC speakers really brings more of a live feeling from the studio, compared to my former speakers.

The song “Bringing home the rain” gives a good example what the bands music is about.

1 Like

Durand Jones & The Indications - Private Space. Rough Trade exclusive blue & pink Ltd edition, which arrived today.

4 Likes

Yes, they used to be a quality name but have let things slip. Non fill has been a recurring issue with Optimal for quite some time now, would have thought that they would have addressed the problem by now

Haven’t listened to it yet @Dreadatthecontrols and have gone away for a few days but will let you know when I get back…

1 Like

Cheers Kevster, I’m heading off to our reclusive log cabin in a couple of days, no phone, internet etc so look forward to hearing your view on my return
Cheers

Missed Go earlier in the year, so very pleased to have got it now. Seen Cool Struttin all over this forum so added it to the order unheard. I’m sure it’s going to be great.

8 Likes

I can only say that I have a brilliant 180g Vinyl, bought for 15 EUR, a german pressing, dead flat with a great sound, one of my best rock LPs from a major label for a normal reissue :ok_hand:

EST Winter in Venice - didn’t know ACT had reissued in vinyl until a trip to Vinyl Hunter in Bury St Edmunds. Classy stuff as ever. Great little shop if you’re in the vicinity worth a look.

2 Likes

Chet Baker - The Improviser, Cadence Jazz Records (1984)

Side A - Recorded Live at Club 7, Oslo, Norway on 8/30/83
Side B - Recorded Live at Hot House, Oslo, Norway 8/15/83

2 Likes

Lucked into a near pristine used copy of this Ravel solo piano box set yesterday. Just a stunning recording. Good digital can render a more solid bodied sound to each note than this gives, but I’ve never heard a more convincing piano sound portrayed in my listening room before. I hesitate to use the phrase ‘in the room’, because I think that is often a reference to convincing imaging quality, a HiFi artefact, but this is a different and much more involving quality. Not so much about the player being in the room as such, more that the piano is being clearly being played by a real person, in real time with minor mistakes obvious (and understandable how they occurred). Tempo’s are human, rather than metronomically precise, I feel that the pianist might make a mistake with the next tricky sequence - just as I might when attending a live performance. Slightly dangerous sounding!
Hard to define, but so often a recorded performance replayed on a hifi can sound metronomic, almost synthesiser precise. There’s no chance that it will flow anything other than perfectly. Live, solo piano playing never actually sounds that way no matter how good the pianist. It’s part of what makes them great that you are able to appreciate how difficult what they are doing is to pull off live. This recording captures that it seems.
The medium (Vinyl) is part of this illusion, but even in that context, this is an unusually realistic recording. Breathtaking in fact.

3 Likes

Mofi have just released the Eagles on ultradisc one-step pressing. Just purchased Desperado. Only 7,500 copies. Get them while they are hot.

9 Likes

Tempted to buy this one myself Kev. How’s the sound and pressing quality?

Pretty good Kev. No idea who cut it and whether it’s been done from analogue or digital but it sounds good. Pressing is fine, a few crackles here and there but nothing to bother me too much.

It’s definitely worth having because all the versions are all singles ones so they have different edits and mixes.

1 Like

Thanks Kev. I’ll pick up a copy on Monday :+1:

1 Like

Hi KJC Just placed the order. This will be my first one step pressing purchase. I have a few of the Mofi 45.rpm pressing that are just superb. I look at this as an investment in music at this price range.

Have fun

WolF

1 Like

MFSL 45 Truth
Will be an interesting comparison to my EMI Japan.

Great album.

9 Likes

Acoustic Sounds Series, just excellent :champagne::+1:

7 Likes