What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

The new Decca reissue

3 Likes

from last week - excellant SH shop in Cornwall and Hay on Wye

Mozart from Eil

13 Likes

Picked up Saturday, very detailed but 1st two albums sound rather bright and lack warmth of my older knackered pressings!

6 Likes

Very much agree about Diamond Life, but for me the rest are the best I’ve heard yet. No matter, it’s a fabulous box set.

2 Likes

I also thought Smooth Operator was possibly a completely different version compared to original release vinyl - it really did sound that different. That aside a near silent flawless pressing.

Promise - much louder surface noise than Diamond Life. Only the odd click/pop, jarringly in the run out groove of one side.

Ordered this on a whim. I had an old iTunes version, and thought recent Qobuz version sounded much better. ‘Once’ remastered on black vinyl.

Amazingly (?) both LPs are in the middle of the gatefold sleeve, in poly lined black paper inners - this should be so easy to accomplish for all modern releases.

3 Likes

Not typical of the album content, but oh my…

4 Likes

A heavyweight box set from RSD - with a price to match.

3 Likes

Mansur Brown - Heiwa Vinyl LP pre order Bandcamp

2 Likes

Mingus, Ah Um. The 2020 RSD issue. GET51339 on Get On Down records. I looked it up online and it gets good reviews, but some question whether it’s actually a digital (CD) master source. Dunno, but it sounds pretty incredible to me. I really liked this on CD, but didn’t listen to it that often for reasons that I don’t really know. I’ve played various sides of this LP for 4 sessions in a row now. It’s gripping, sonically and musically. For folks curious about Jazz, but not there yet, I’d say try side 1 (the first 5 tracks). If you dig prog rock or the vibe of something like Side1 of Dark Side of the Moon, then turn this up to similar volumes, turn the lights off, sit back, relax and see what you think.

13 Likes

Don’t know the Japanese pressing, but the mofi is great!

Is anyone getting the new Analogue Productions UHQR Kind of Blue in Clarity Vinyl?

A very pleasing and informative write up. Thank you.

I’m still waiting for mine due in early November but there are some forum members who have received theirs I believe.

There was some discussion of this earlier in the thread (can use the search function and select “only this topic” to get a summary). A few people ordered it from various places - including some UK sites that seemed to manage shipping and import for you if you are in UK. I received mine (in Canada) shipped from US… but of a hassle as shipping charge was high, and the tax handling fee (from FedEx) was even more than the tax! But it arrived safely and very well packaged, and it’s lovely overall. Now that I’ve “forgotten” all the charges, it’s certainly a nice pressing and a cool thing to own.

Note: if you are referring to the 45 rpm version, I’ve not seen anything about that apart from the notes that it was being planned; the 33 rpm version is the one that’s shipping (in batches as they are pressed if I understand correctly).

Regards, alan

I ordered a copy from the MD store earlier in the year but no sign of it or any further info since then.

Like Richard, I ordered from the MD official store and was quoted delivery for Jul/Aug. Received a subsequent email from them citing, ‘delays due to high demand and the time needed for the hand-pressing process’, with a new delivery date of November!

I really hope it’s worth the wait.

Cheers,

Ian

Weirdly it still appears to be available to order from the MD store, even though “limited” to 25,000 copies, or so it says.

Mine was delivered swiftly when it was released. The difference with the 2010 Legacy pressing I have is extraordinary. I don’t know how they managed, but am very happy with it.

Beware of seam split and don’t do as I do. I made the mistake of opening the gatefold with the record inside and tore mine, or it was already like that. So, slide the record out first, then open the gatefold I would highly recommend.

I contacted Acoustic Sounds and I will receive a replacement jacket with the number pressed in it, which they will do when the coming batch is being released. Mid june I received an e-mail that they expect this to be around the start of fall.

1 Like

I always remembered this Coltrane version of My favorite things as being very hip. Glad to have added it to my collection. The cut and pressing is said to be pretty good. As I see it, the record itself is flat, some but not much noise on B1 and good overall. I will have a 2nd listen later on, but if I would be very critical, it might be a little bit dull, which might also be the original recording.

Rex’ vinyl #52 (adjusted, gave 2 away)

John Coltrane - My Favorite Things

Pressing 2010 / Atlantic SD 1361 / Rhino Records at Optimal EU

5 Likes