What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Sunday mornings with this album playing have been frequent over the years and now we can give this vinyl version a spin. ECM did a great job once again with the sonics, a very nice and quiet pressing, Chick and Gary Burton were in top form.

Rex’ vinyl #53

Gary Burton, Chick Corea - Crystal Silence
Pressing 2017 / ECM 1024 ST / Germany

4 Likes

Hmmm…that does seem odd. I ordered shortly after it was announced so the price direct from the MD store was ‘reasonable’ (!). The prices UK record shops are advertising at would probably have made me think twice so maybe others are too.

Or, it is no longer limited to the initial number stated.

Cheers,

Ian

25,000 copies is a lot for a an expensive single LP release, so perhaps they haven’t sold out yet. And I guess hand pressing take a long time…

1 Like

Just had a bit of a ‘senior’ moment and confused the content of the email I was sent with a press release about the record which I saw…somewhere!

Email advises the delay is because of, ‘vinyl production limitations’.

Sounds very much like they underestimated how long it would take to hand-press the run. I also recollect reading that some folk had received less than perfect copies so maybe they have also had to revisit the QC process.

It’s the one worry I have with having ordered from the US; if there’s a problem with the pressing, the returns process could be difficult.

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

You are right to be a bit worried about that. My replacement gatefold will be free of charge, however, only if they can add it to another order. Luckily, they have a few records I would like, but again, I will be paying customs and at the moment unfortunately still very high postage costs.

1 Like

The stunning 50th anniversary All things must Pass, exceptional

12 Likes

Some very lucky finds in my local record shop. All look to be in very fine condition and 6 or 7 played and confirmed as such ( one duffer, the Stephen Hough album). The whole lot £110 for 30 items, many multiple disc sets. :grin:

8 Likes

@kuma - Yep. I ordered from the US Miles Davis store, about $90 including shipping to the UK. Due next month.

OH that’s cool.
Recently we did a shoot out bewteen the Classic 180g 90s reissue and 2000 200g reissue plus the recent Mofi KOB ( The Worst :roll_eyes:).

The one to beat is the original Classic 180g Reissue. We’ll be doing the comparo as soon as I get one in the house.

Supposedly, it should get here this month. Will see if that happens. Some already got 'em.

Due in Novemeber? really? I thought they should get here this month.

Indeed 45 rpm version is said to be a later project. It’s great you’ve got a copy already!
What on earth is tax handling fee? ( tho I was told shipping to Canada now is a nightmare )

So… have you compared to anything else against it?

Oh! Bummer. ok. Thanks for that notice. I knew something was up. A friend who ordered early on hasn’t gotten his yet.

1 Like

Well I ordered mine direct from AcousticSounds and received it on June 1st. The jacket had a small tear on the inside fold so wrote them an email and they re-printed the jacket with original number (0759) in my case and sent it within 3 weeks I think it was - I was seriously impressed by their customer service. As to the the sound, well it really is absolutely fabulous to my ears - I am sure you will all enjoy it once it arrives.

1 Like

Wow.
Are you, by any chance, a close relative of Chad? :grin:

Although I’m guilty of the same (much to my wife’s despair), I wonder with so many copies of the same recording, which do you play when you just want to listen to the music? Apart from when you’re holding these shoot outs with friends, do you ever play the inferior versions? If not, why retain them?

1 Like

Hi @kuma

I had to pay the federal tax (about $10), and FedEx adds their brokerage / handling fee if they do anything at the border for you… that was an additional $15 over the original $50 shipping charge. When things go by post (even rapid post), that almost never happens; but there were no options.

The bigger factor was that I was in Germany when it was to arrive in Canada, and it took a couple of days to get through on the phone to pay the extra and get it delivered: I was in a tiny panic it would get sent back! Fortunately everything was great, the help desk lady was quick to spot the issue and took my credit card info; it arrived the next morning.

Not really, and not directly. I have an old copy from 70’s still in the dozen or so LPs that didn’t get scavenged over the decades… That said, it is extremely quiet, surface-wise, even compared to the Blue Note Tone Poets or the new Bryan Ferry Boys and Girls. The second time I played it, I heard one pop, probably a dust mote; I remember that because there was literally no other noise and it kinda freaked me out!

The actual music is awesome, and the band seems very well located and each in their own space. I hadn’t listed to the stream version enough to specifically notice if the quarter tone flat issue (fixed also on this release) was apparent to me … so obviously it wasn’t a big deal to my ears! That said, it is clear from the off that there is only music coming out… nothing else getting in the way. I sat mesmerized like I was a kid again, a really fun first listen! Highly recommended and I hope you enjoy it!!

I am not likely to plunge again for the 45, I don’t think… but I guess I would consider it if others think there is something interesting in it to hear, eg as a system test or whatever. I am happy to have this one, it is certainly at the extreme end of “premium quality” no doubt in my mind.

Regards, alan

1 Like

:joy: Sadly not but my surname begins with A … maybe that landed me on top of the list…or just lucky I guess.

These two. Danish trio - very good (think E.S.T. and the like).

1 Like

I ordered mine from acoustic sounds direct. It is still available there for preorder. I think they make batches of 5000 and deliver then. Mine is from the second batch, a 6000 number. Delivery from USA to Germany takes one week (!). By the way: excellent sound and great pressing, flat without any surface noice.