What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

That was some haul! I wish I had a local shop like that.

Had a bit of a splurge this last 10 days or so!

5 Likes

Have you compared it with anything else?
I read that AP will press 25k KOB all together. ( sort of a stretch calling it limited edition ) :roll_eyes:

I wonder how many are pressed per stamper. Hope they change it more often than every 5k.

1 Like

Good grief alan33. That’s called extortion!

Cleaning a new record does help. It can sound ever better~

I dismissed it when I first heard AP is coming up with yet another KOB reissues. Over the years I had purchased half a dozen vinyl and CDs ( remember Sony’s DCC ? ). The music on this album is solid. Seminal piece. Every tune is a masterpiece. No filler. My fave is Blue in Green said to be written by Bill Evans tho Miles denies this yet you listen to it it’s Evans all over. There is an anecdote: when Evans asked to be paid for the piece Miles gave him a 25$ check. :confused: :roll_eyes:

Actually I have not purchased it. I am still on the side line and figure will do some listening comparison when my friend gets his. :smiley: Also I am rather apprehensive of recent AP reissues. My experience is that original Classic reissues always come up on top. Newer does not mean better sometimes.

Negative on 45s here either. I find that not all 45 remasters warrant an inconvenience of getting up every 10 min.

1 Like

No, not compared with another. I am happy they press so many, Hendrix and Tull were hard to find :wink: they say they press 1000 per stamper, as mofi with the one steps.

My copy is at my daughter’s in the US. I hope to pick it up in October.

Neil Young - Young Shakespeare. Perfect pressing and sounds excellent.

1 Like

Thin Lizzy, Greatest Hits, 2xLP,
Joe Satriani, Is There Love In Space, MOV 2xLP

Is it? Not convinced at all. Completely over compressed and zero sparkle, even the horns sound flat. Personally, the most disappointed I’ve been in years with a purchase. Anyway, each to their own.

1 Like

Nanci Griffith - There’s a Light Beyond These Woods.

2 Likes

Richard Williams is of your view - he has an amusing review (‘All things must be remixed’) on his blog The Blue Moment - well written as ever.

I will be sticking with my original vinyl.

3 Likes

Thanks Clive, very amusing and well written indeed. I just read Fremer’s review too and he does not seem that impressed either so I’m glad it is not just me! BTW - you are making a very sensible decision sticking to the original.

2 Likes

A nice holiday haul bought from Clocktower Music in Dorset. I could have spent a small fortune in this very well stocked shop, in the end whittling it down to nine albums where a few were rejected due to condition. All M or NM after a clean on the Okki Nokki.

LPs…

Muddy Waters - Hard Again.
Happy Mondays - Bummed.
Paul Simon - Graceland.
Altered Images - Happy Birthday.
Altered Images - Pinky Blue.
Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble - Texas Flood.
The Style Council - Café Bleu.
Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme.
The Robert Cray Band - Bad Influence.

12” Singles…

Yello & Shirley Bassey - The Rhythm Divine.
Carmel - More, More, More.

9 Likes

Yes, recommended shop. I also go to the Bridport record fair which visits every 3 months.

1 Like

You are lucky being local! I was quite taken with the vibe in Bridport. Agree, a very good shop. When it had quietened down and I was on my own browsing the racks, the owner came over and we chatted about music, the shop and his approach to selling records. Definitely one of the good guys.

Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds

Bought from HMV in Hastings but it is going back as the amount of pops and clicks is completely unacceptable for a new record. I wonder if I’ve just got a bad copy or if they will all be like that due to a bad master?

Latest crop!

7 Likes

Last one for me for while I think now we’ve gone into lockdown here…

4 Likes

Unlikely to be the master as the PF vinyl is generally well regarded. Pops and clicks will be the result of a poor pressing. With luck the replacement will be fine but sometimes there are problems with the run of a pressing - in part or whole - so you may get another dud.

After an unforeseen delay, this wonderful LP from the Acoustic Sounds series of reissues has finally landed on my turntable and boy was it worth the wait! Oliver Nelson’s The Blues And The Abstract Truth. I’ve never heard this wonderful album sound so good. Superb packaging from AS with a lovely gatefold Stoughton tip-on sleeve and immaculate QRP pressing.

16 Likes