What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I introduced Julian Chapman at Jeffries HiFi (now Audio-t Brighton) to this album and to Ernest Ranglins music in general. Julian used it quite a bit as a dem record, he reckoned not many speakers could reproduce the Bass on this well. I recall loaning him the vinyl version and he complained that the booklet fell out bashing the head shell of his ARO!
I took Julian to a small basement club in Brighton to see Ernie Ranglin around this time and he became quite a fan.
I wonder if as a Naim dealer Julian might have in turn turned on guys like Steve to the great Ernie Ranglin.
:heart:

1 Like

Olive Green surely?

Stanley Turrentine - Comin’ Your Way, Blue Note/Tone Poet (2020)

3 Likes

Thanks @TheKevster - gracing the Systemdek this evening :slight_smile:

9 Likes

51eJLFUvkvL._AC_1

5 Likes

All great with “Church With One Bell” :+1:

Good to hear. It’s an excellent album and needs a good pressing. :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely brilliant (nearest comparison would perhaps be Vestbo Trio, which I came to know about via this forum).

Not bad either.

6 Likes

Ernest Ranglin, gosh I haven’t thought about that album for years. I know it inside out, we played it a lot in the CD shop I worked at during the 90s and sold loads. Great album, great groove.

I’m listening to Avantdale Bowling Club at the moment, have you come across them? (Him, actually, Tom Scott.) hiphop/jazz album, a good listen.

Edit oops didn’t notice autocorrect had changed Avantdale to Avantgarde!

1 Like

Last new one:
Psychick TV Allegory and Self, includes the fab Godstar - I have the original 7" EP but couldn’t resist in an LP.

Secondhand:
Penetration Moving Targets first UK
Aretha Aretha’s Gold US
Jonathan Richman/Modern Lovers It’s Time For
Keith Jarrett Back Hand UK Impulse

Oh, and

5 Likes

All the Island Jamaica Jazz titles (Ernest Ranglin, Monty Alexander, Dean Fraser, Skatalites) titles were good.
If you particularly like Ernest Ranglin his follow up for the label Memories Of Barber Mack is also well worth checking.
Thanks for the tip Avantgarde Bowling Club will add to my round tooit

1 Like

Cool. It’s Avantdale not Avantgarde, my bad, didn’t notice the autocorrect had ‘fixed’ it for me!

1 Like

Found a S/T album from 2018 on Tidal and a Live one. “favourited” for exploration in due course.
Bless

1 Like

I think Avantgarde Bowling Club could be a more interesting name for a band! :joy:

1 Like

Friday Night Again by Gary Boyle. Never released on CD so it had to be vinyl and copied to MP3 via a USB turntable! Gotta have the full set.:joy:

1 Like

Nirvana - Nevermind, Polydor (2021)

30th Anniversary remaster on pre order.

5 Likes

Donald Byrd - Places and Spaces, Blue Note Classic, (2021)

Really looking forward to KG’s cut of this Jazz Funk classic fingers crossed Optimal don’t mess things up.

5 Likes

First of the post Level 4 re ups… been trying to find this for years, was recorded in cave at a beach near where I live and sounds epic…

Hot off the press Mofi one step.

Desperado by the Eagles

7 Likes