What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Some real classic albums amongst the latest set of MoFi one step releases. I’d love to own Desperado, Eagles, Tapestry and EC unplugged especially. Just can’t get my head around the prices :grimacing:

3 Likes

Hi this is the most expensive record I have brought to date. I intend to have a good listing session this weekend to evaluate the one step. If it passes muster I shall save my pennies for the Eric Clapton unplugged if it becomes a mofi release. There is nothing like Micro diamond technology.

Happy listening :notes::musical_note:

WolF

However, I have been able to muster up enough financial courage to pre-order these two upcoming issues!

4 Likes

Very interested in what you think of it @WolF. I’m reasonably happy with the recent reissues of the unplugged and Eagles albums, but since I don’t own Tapestry on Vinyl, I might be able to persuade myself to swing for that one if you think the SQ uplift is significant. Maybe!

I will let you know how I go. I also have the fantastic very emotional sounding Eric Clapton unplugged double album 33 1/3 rpm pressed in Germany.

WolF

1 Like

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, Impulse (Acoustic Sounds) (2020)

This sold out pretty quickly when it came out and have been on the lookout for a copy since so I was very luck to find an opened but Nr Mint copy for £28.

12 Likes

Lots of good new vinyl recently, finally picked up Steely Dan, two against nature and Richard Thompson’s mirror blue, both long time favourites which I only had on cd. Both sound great but they do make me wonder whether I really want to get up to change record sides after only two tracks!

I have been determined recently to try out some music which I wouldn’t previously have bought, so thanks @steviebee and @The Kevster for the recommendation of Bobbie Gentry’s The Windows of the World, and to @Richard.Dane and others for the Oliver Nelson, The Blues and the Abstract Truth, these are both very different but excellent additions to my tiny jazz collection. Hugely impressed with the quality of the sleeve and overall presentation as well as the sound.

Photos of two more recent new purchases which I am enjoying, plus the new Alabama 3 which arrived as I was writing this! Was also pleased to pick up Bandstand by Family in a nice original “TV” cover.

3 Likes

This arrived today.

Mrs Bruss has popped out so I will sit and have a first listen without distraction.

5 Likes

Making History :+1:

Yes @Dreadatthecontrols, I saw LKJ on his tour in 1981 where he performed with a backing tape, it was a powerful and moving performance, but at the time I didn’t consider that it was the kind of material that I would listen to at home. Glad to have a chance to reconsider, it is an important album.

1 Like

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage.

I’ve had a bit of bad luck with recent Optimal pressings. This one has been cleaned on the RCM and looks very good, so fingers crossed for later on.

9 Likes

Love this album !!!

1 Like

A nice little haul of new and used records from Action Records this morning. A mix of 80s classics and a few new releases - my Okki Nokki is going to get a good workout this week. I think I may as well just set up a direct debit to Action Records…

Tears For Fears - The Seeds of Love (1st pressing).
Prefab Sprout - Swoon (1st pressing).
Led Zeppelin IV (80s orange & green label reissue).
Visage - The Anvil (1st pressing).
OMD Architecture & Morality - (1st pressing).
Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen (1st pressing).
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (1st pressing).
Rolling Stones - Tattoo You (early pressing).
Nick Lowe - Labour of Lust (1st pressing).
David Bowie - Low (80s green label).
Station To Station (80’s black label).
David Bowie - The Best of Bowie.

And the new albums…

Public Service Broadcasting - Bright Magic (orange vinyl).
Alabama 3 - Step 13 (orange vinyl).
Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg (yellow vinyl).
Goat - Head Soup - Rare & unreleased compilation (green vinyl).
Killers - Pressure Machine (black vinyl, indies slip case).

9 Likes

Graeme I’ve just played my copy albeit without a clean and it’s ok no real glaring problems but unfortunately I played it straight after a Tone Poet copy of Stanley Turrentine - Comin’ Your Way which is an exceptional pressing and it showed the Classic series Maiden Voyage to be slightly inferior but in it’s own right and for £18.99 it’s better than 75% of modern pressings and a decent addition to my collection so no complaints, you get what you pay for.

I would love to hear a top quality pressing of Little One, track three on side one which is top class and played by a top class band an early version of Miles Davis Quintet with Freddie Hubbard instead of Miles and George Coleman who quit the Quintet early on and was replaced by the great tenor sax master Wayne Shorter.

5 Likes

Just played my copy and I am in agreement with you. It’s got a couple of small defects, at its price it’s good value and I’m very happy to have it in my collection. I also agree that the Tone Poets are very special.

8 Likes

Thanks Kevin. Great pressing. Will you do other AAAs?

9 Likes

Hi @R.K - glad you like it. The second album is on vinyl and CD and was recorded on hi-res digital (it was recorded in a small basement club so it wasn’t possible to get a Studer down there!).

The next album will be recorded at RAK, on tape again, although it may not possible to be completely AAA, but we shall see…

3 Likes

Before starting my vinyl collection journey, I made a wishlist, ordered by desire. This album is one of the top 5 on my list, my favorite Hancock/Hubbard collaboration and I marked the day of the release of this pressing in my calendar. Ever since and even now wishing for it to be a Tone Poet, but this Classic will do nicely.

Cleaned and playing for a couple of times now, it sounds like it should, missing some sound stage if I were overly critical, which I am not: very much enjoying this!

Rex’ vinyl #55

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
Pressing 2021 / Blue Note Classic, BST-84195, Optimal

9 Likes

Barney Wilen - French Ballads, Elemental Music (2021) Pre Order

Recorded in 1987 along with two members of Chet Baker’s band from the 1980’s Michel Grailler on Piano and Riccardo Del Fra on Bass.

Remastered from the 24 Track Analogue tapes by the original sound engineer Hervé Le Guil.

2 Likes