What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Mankunku Quartet - Yakhal’ Inkomo, Mr Bongo (2021) Pre Order

Originally released in 1968 on South African label WRC it’s the absolute pinnacle of South African Jazz. It’s unbelievable I’m only hearing of this record now because it really is top drawer.

41z0XCluP0L.AC

3 Likes

Herbie Hancock - Inventions and Dimensions, Blue Note 80 (2019)

4 Likes

I’ve just listened to the Acoustic Sounds reissue of A Love Supreme and it’s superb Elvin Jones’s cymbals at the beginning of Part 1 Acknowledgement are some of the best I’ve heard on a vinyl record.

It’s actually the first time I’ve listened to A Love Supreme from start to finish it’s a record that’s never really resonated with me until now. I persevered with it because of it’s importance and it’s place in Jazz history and I’m so glad I did, It really illustrates how a proper pressing can really bring a piece of music to life.

3 Likes

8 Likes

I fully agree Bob, my history of this album are exactly as yours, the Acoustic pressing the first I bought.

The Speakers Corner is also very good, so I passed on the AS this time
:heart:

1 Like

Ordered.
Vinyl Me Please, mono.
Read good things about this AAA VMP release, so hoping it will be a good companion to my old US stereo copy - or replace it.

5 Likes

It’s a cracking pressing Stevie, it was one of the albums of the month when I was a member.

1 Like

Thanks @Blackstar! My anticipation is surely whetted!

Stevie and @Blackstar The inexpensive Rhino Mono re issue I recently bought is very good too, not sure whether its AAA or digital source though.

I’m waiting for an email alert on Curtis Mayfield - Curtis from a label called Run Out Groove US, I think there a similar kind of set up to VMP.
I gave up trying to get a decent copy of the Steve Bellman cut AAA box set that doesnt have the warped Curtis album. I emailed ROG who claim to have cut AAA for the main album with digital files for the extra material.
:heart:

Jim Hall - Concierto, CTI. (1975)

Featuring Chet Baker, Ron Carter, Paul Desmond and Steve Gadd.

5 Likes

Just playing the 2021 release of Maiden Voyage. Far superior in every way to my 2014 release.

1 Like

Yes, likewise I’ve just spun my recently received copy of Maiden Voyage and it’s excellent. Oh, and joy of joys, no non-fill in this copy, unlike the last few BN Classics I purchased…

4 Likes

Linton Kwesi Johnson - Forces of Victory, Island (2021) Pre Order

Abbey Rd half speed remaster with bonus Lp of Dub Versions and Extended Mixes.

4 Likes

Is the first album still available on vinyl?

Indeed it is @Alley_Cat - both albums are in fact.

1 Like

Via Badcamp presumably?

Hadn’t heard about the warped disc in that box set. I was sure mine was ok but just checked, must have been lucky it’s perfectly flat!

I’ve about 2 secs of non fill on one track (noisy section of ‘survival of the fittest’) and I can live with that as everything else is perfect.

Indeed. Or The River. But Bandcamp is better. :wink:

3 Likes