What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Good to hear! But it would sound way better with a crisp shiny thick gatefold sleeve with some studio photos wouldn’t it?

1 Like

Probably not it might look and feel better though. One of the major differences between the Classic Series and the Tone Poets is the pressing one is done at Optimal the other at RTI one is occasionally prone to non fill and being noisy the other not.

What’s interesting is that where similar metalwork is used you would expect differences in sound quality between an Optimal and an RTI pressing would be minimal. However, it would appear that’s not always the case. Where like for like comparison could be made, my own listening has tended to favour the RTI pressings.

2 Likes

Some of the earlier ones were fine I understand but later ones seem to all have a badly warped Curtis. Others on the forum had the same experience, I’ve tried several copies. The problem appears that the shrink wrap is too tight bending the slip case and the Curtis LP. I posted pics way back.
Coincidentally, I ordered another yesterday to revisit and see if the issue still prevails
:heart:

Yes, it’s a funny game isn’t it, even the same record from the same plant but from different presses/stampers can sound different

On the point of RTI vs Optimal, there are probably a lot more variables like vinyl formulation, the speed and QC of the press runs and just generally how much they care. My thumbs up for RTI, cant remember the last time I had a duffer if at all

Ime I have a complete 33 set of Music Matters, many of the TP’s, BN80’s & Classics. Even without a direct A/B comparison, they dont overlap titles, I find the TP’s way ahead of the BN80/Classic in both presentation and SQ. That’s not to say the Classics or BN80’s are poor, their not their very good when not plagued with the scourge of Optimal (non fill) and as titles dont overlap there isn’t a choice anyway.

In answer to @RexManning I do have the Music Matters Maiden Voyage 33 (the TP’s are effectively a continuation made to similar spec) I would say the answer confidently most likely Yes

Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Guys, can you clarify, I’m not sure if I’ve got crossed wires. Out To Lunch & Maiden Voyage are BN Classic series right? Juno records are listing them as Tone Poet but with what appear to be Classic prices.

Maiden Voyage and Out To Lunch are definitely Classic Vinyl Series. Juno are mistaken.

1 Like

Thanks I thought so, I think someone there is having a senior moment, I’ve just seen Art Blakey The Big Beat & Horace Silver Six Pieces Of Silver listed as Decca :joy:

I came across this very smart bootleg today in one of my locals. Even the bloke in the shop was impressed with it when I took it to the counter and asked him about it.
I had a look on Discogs to try and find out a bit more about it. Currently they do not have any up for sale so I couldn’t determine if I got a bargain or not (not that it matters). It was limited to 750 copies, the early ones on black vinyl and the later ones on red vinyl, that’s all I know.
Anyway being a Patti Smith fan I’m well chuffed :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I loved the excitement of finding a bootleg by a favourite artist. I remember buying a copy of “Great White Wonder” in London just off Carnaby Street. I had ask in several shops all totally unrelated to music until a chap veted me and I passed his requirements as a “serious” punter, he then took my money gave me a small piece of paper and sent me to a clothes shop where I exchanged it for a plain white label pressing! This was probably 1969 or so, terrible sound quality but I loved it ….still have it. Tell that to the kids of today, they won’t believe you!

4 Likes

That’s class ChrisG, it makes it all the more special. I’m not sure if I was being vetted when he asked me who Pattis guitarist was!

I’ll be interested to hear if you get a better outcome with the Curtis Mayfield boxset. As you may recall, I had the same problems with multiple copies of Curtis all being badly warped. From time to time, I’ve pondered whether to try again.

1 Like

Yes I remember discussing it with you. I’m not holding my breath but thought I’d have another punt. For ethical reasons I dont normally like to shop for records with Amazon, but as a last resort I’ve made an exception and tried an order with their EU site along with a free trial of Prime to bag free international postage (crafty)

I’m pondering, if it still has the warped Curtis, whether to keep it for the other albums and get the claimed AAA mastering of Curtis from Run Out Groove

Another option might be to source a NM opened copy from a Discogs seller and ask them to check for the warping before buying

I think generally Discogs have a policy of not listing bootlegs/unofficial releases

1 Like

Hi Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. At the moment I cannot recommend this particular album as the first disc is warped like a waltzer and is not playable. I am in discussions with Mofi about getting a Replacement but they will not pay for shipping cost from the US to Australia. Very disapointing I must say, this being my most expensive record and first one step record from them. I should have listened to my own advise and only buy from a home country retailer for better service and returns.

Happy Listening

WolF, if I were in your position I would look for someone with an LP flattener offering a flattening service. I have seen or two now and then offering this on places like eBay. These flatteners can usually deal with even the worst warps, although they not be able to completely cure dishing of an entire disk.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve considered some of the options you’ve outlined. One of the faulty copies I got was from Amazon. The first one I got I partially played on my LP12 and it sounded great, but I stopped it as I was slightly alarmed when I saw the amount of warp on the record. Anyway, it will be interesting to see if you get a better outcome this time.

2 Likes

Hi Richard I have lined up the local Groove Man who has a furutech DF-2 that he has done some amazing work on some previous waltzers I have purchased. He normally takes five hours per record to flatten, not to sure how the MoFi SuperVinyl is going to hold up to this process. Hopefully I can get something sorted out with Mofi first before we start messing with the stretched toffee.

Thanks WolF

1 Like