What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Herbie Nichols - The Prophetic Vol 1&2, Blue Note (2021) Pre Order.

Is it over 3 bits of vinyl?

Just back from a lovely little record fair in Winchester with these 3. A nice haul for £70. Tracy Chapman is an original pressing and very clean.

13 Likes

Dam, for 38 years old this sounds good.

10 Likes

Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage, Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series. Wow! This might be the best of the series yet. Only thing missing is the lovely gatefold tip on jacket from the Music Matters issue, but it’s at least available and relatively affordable at less than a tenth of the cost.

9 Likes

A nice little haul from Records & Relics the other day…

David Bowie - David Live, a nice find, as my copy is rather tired.

The Doors - The Doors, on a 1980 reissue.

Blancmange - Believe You Me, first UK pressing.

4 Likes

To be fair it isn’t the best live recording in any format but on my Rega P8/Supernait 2 it sounds superior to both my CD and Tidal versions . I have most of Paul’s records on vinyl and unfortunately it’s all pretty mediocre sonically and for some reason always sounds better on low end systems.

My expectations for this record where not sky high because it wasn’t recorded very well in the first place but Craft have actually done better than I thought .

I have a Tracey Chapman first press and it sounds excellent.

2 Likes

Some nice cool jazz ( is that the correct label? ) from Enrico Peiranunzi on piano with Kenny Wheeler (can’t go wrong), Chris Potter, Haden and Motian (ditto). Charlie’s bass is well-recorded, as are the others, but the bass is sweet.
A few ticks on the pressing, but a clean should take care of them.
“Nice…”

3 Likes

Chet Baker - Baby Breeze, EmArcy RE (1987)

Japanese reissue of 1965 release featuring amongst others Kenny Burrel, Phil Urso and Bob James.

2 Likes

Just order this from the current repress - looking forward to getting it…

1 Like

One of the best selling classical LP of all time? I never owned it, charity shop find. Funny how records that look perfect are actually forked. :grin:

4 Likes

It’s a shame too because Paul Weller’s live sound is incredible and the gear they use is all top-flight - amazing tone from all those old epi’s and such

1 Like

Great recording & performance. How forked?

I agree Bob - it wasn’t the greatest recording to begin with but I’ve always loved the song selection

Craft have done a very good job and let’s face it , it is 20 years old

It’s good to have it on vinyl

1 Like

the music absolutely, just the LP itself is completely wrecked, real frying bacon job haha, ah well can’t expect British Heart Foundation to check them I guess?

That’s a shame.

Yes, I don’t think many charity shops play test.

A perfect LP well handled but played on a deck with a cheap and nasty ceramic cartridge or a cartridge that’s badly mistracking or with a damaged stylus can be ruined after just one play. They’re much the most frustrating to buy secondhand as to a brief visual inspection they seem to be in excellent or near mint condition.

Did Optimal press that one OK?
Just curious Richard as I’m lucky to have the MM that you mention

Yes, this one Optimal managed to get spot on.

Speaking of which, I see a number of places have Midnight Blue back in stock. Question is, do I feel lucky this time…?

1 Like