What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

“Time Is Tight” is one of my favourite singles ever :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this, I hadn’t picked up on it before - just listened to it today and it’s wonderful. Perfect for Sunday evenings with a nice malt.

1 Like

I didn’t buy this, I have to emphasise, because I wanted to…

7 Likes

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!

This is the first release on a brand new label called New Land - a reissue of a classic 1963 Mulligan album called Night Lights. It’s mastered by Kevin Gray and pressed at Pallas, and it looks to be a quality product. I know the guys behind this have been working on it for ages but they’ve had awful problems and delays getting the thing pressed. But it’s due out imminently now, and I wish them luck.

10 Likes

£45 !!!

I think one of the best music makers of the last few years. Three albums, three stunners.

1 Like

I have that one. Unfortunately my record has some surface noise. Good album, not quite the same without Maxi Jazz but nice listen anyhow.

1 Like

Two LP:s to the collection.

2 Likes

Thanks Kev I had looked at this on PRE Order but couldn’t find any info on the pressing so have now ordered a copy not shipping until December 10th though.

4 Likes

You won’t be disappointed @Bobthebuilder - great record and teriffic sound.

2 Likes

This was going very cheap (£4) via a third party seller on Bezes’ Bazaar, so I thought I’d take a punt. Less than the price of a pint in London!

4 Likes

My copy is also on order. :grinning:

3 Likes

The DuPre recording of the Cello Concerto is exceptional, and may never be matched, but Janet Baker’s recording of Sea Pictures is wonderful too. I mention this, because a friend had the equivalent CD and had never thought to listen to Sea Pictures at all. And ‘Glorious John’ conducting as well.

If the Cello Concerto floats your boat, you may want to try to find DuPre’s later recording of the work under the direction of her husband Daniel Barenboim, which I seem to recall is available from CBS/Sony.

Graham

Katanga! I’ve had this unusual Tone Poet release for a little while sat in one of the old magnum wine cases that serves to hold new LPs either awaiting play or on current rotation. This evening I decided to investigate and It has been a most wonderful surprise - what a great album and it sounds fabulous too in this cut from the analogue tapes by Kevin Gray and pressing by RTI. As the insert notes from Thomas Conrad say “Katanga! Is one of those extraordinary works of art for which nothing prepares us.” If you love jazz then this one comes with the strongest recommendation - get a copy while you still can!

13 Likes

Great Album! 36 minutes of pure joy!
Have fun with it, Richard.

1 Like

Kev

Is the copy you have the same as the one on Amazon for 26 quid?

States the label is ‘New Land’ …and it will be released on 3rd December

3 Likes

I have been thinking of getting it from discrepancy-records for $85.00 2 to 5 weeks dispatch.

Chet Baker - Sings Again, Timeless (1986) Ordered from Discogs should arrive next week hopefully.

Recorded October 2 & 8 1985 at Studio 44, Monster, Holland.

This Quartet featuring Ricardo Del Fra, Michel Graillier and John Engels where perfect for Chet, Graillier and Del Fra played hundreds of live and recording dates with Chet and new exactly how to frame both his playing and singing.

2 Likes

I have his first two records and will add this to my collection a super talented artist.