What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Chet Baker, Philip Catherine, Jean-Louis Rassinfosse - Crystal Bells, Igloo Jazz Classics (2021)

After a bit of a wait this excellent reissue from the 1980’s is sounding excellent.

5 Likes

Yes @Debs

1 Like

Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension. What a great album this is. It has elements of Age is Adz but is more polished and more accessible. This may well be up there with Illinois and Carrie & Lowell as SS at his best - so far… also top marks for a wonderful tip on gatefold sleeve, immaculately pressed translucent vinyl, pressed at Pallas I think, art booklet, and even a separate LP jacket sized piece of artwork replicating the cover - nice!

6 Likes

Have you checked out ‘A beginner’s mind ‘ yet? I think it is up there with Carrie and Lowell

1 Like

I bought, rather accidentally, two copies of Love’s wonderful ‘Forever Changes’ LP, which I’ve loved since I heard it when it first came out.

I was delighted to discover, when they arrived, that one was the stereo mix, the other the mono mix. So that will reward careful listening, when playing them.

The mono one bears a sticker which reads: ‘The elusive mono mix on vinyl for the first time since 1967’.

So it’s turned out all rather splendidly.

If you have the Rhino mono, I’m sure you will enjoy it, it sounds quite different to the stereo, but there is no and never has been a true mono FC they have all been fold downs from the stereo recording, this one is particularly good. Enjoy , you can never have too many copies of FC!

1 Like

Chet Baker - Baby Breeze, EmArcy (Japan) 1987

Time Warp condition and sounding lovely.

6 Likes

Getting prepared for Peter Hook’s gig in Colchester next year……

12 Likes

I paid a bit over £100 for the LP’s below inc postage all from the same seller on Discogs I’ll let you all know how they sound once I’ve played them.

Miles Davis Quintet - Miles Smiles, Columbia/Speakers Corner (2008)

Lacquers cut and pressed at Pallas

Cannonball Adderley - Something Else, Blue Note/Classic Records 200 gram

R-3092557-1611921619-6580.jpeg

Chet Baker and Art Pepper - Picture of Health, Pacific Records/Pure Pleasure (2006)

Herbie Hancock - My Point of View, Blue Note Reissue (2008)

Donald Byrd - The Cat Walk, Blue Note Reissue not dated on Discogs.

Cassandra Wilson - Blue Light Till Dawn, Blue Note/Pure Pleasure (2011)
Pure Pleasure reissue presses at Pallas

Nat King Cole - Penthouse Serenade, Pure Pleasure/Capitol (2008)

KG & Steve Hoffman at Acoustech pressed at Pallas.

10 Likes

I just saw it a lot on the Forum and thought ‘Hell, let’s give it go…’ so I bought the album (I’m not much for streaming apart from quick lo-fi listens on YT)

Glad you like it, but the credit surely belongs to others here. Try Macy Gray’s Stripped too… that’s superb.

1 Like

Yeah this tone poet pressing of Katanga is a fabulous record… mine gets pretty heavy rotation at the moment

1 Like

Just picked up the new Radiohead Kid A mnesia combo. Will set it up for a spin tonight once the house is quiet…

1 Like

Bob, if this one doesn’t quite do it for you sound quality-wise then I can highly recommend the recent Tone Poet reissue - fab!

4 Likes

All seven for £100? That’s incredibly cheap!

Thanks for the recommendation. Listening now over a coffee on the Muso Qb but sadly on Spotify as it’s not on Qobuz for some reason.

1 Like

Thanks Richard it was almost a freebie so I’ll try it and if I like go for the TP if it’s not too pricey.

1 Like

Nearer £120 but still very cheap. Of course all depends on condition but the seller has VG feedback and he has them all listed at VG+ and above.

It depends what you have paid as the seller and if you want to sell things sit on Discogs for years unsold at top money.

Good deal, I’m sure it’ll all be good :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Nice! That SC Miles Smiles is also on my list. Enjoying that mono?

1 Like

Review in this month’s Stereophile