What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I find it curious that some think the TP series to be pricey whilst seemingly happy to fork out for One Steps & UHQR’s :thinking:

Spiritualized “Let it Come Down” remaster on Fat Possum label…fantastic remaster but like all the recent Spiritualized reissues it’s poor pressing quality, noisy vinyl.

3 Likes

I think the Tone Poets at their regular price of £30-35 they are fine and decent value, however once they go out of stock prices of sealed copies of certain titles on the ‘bay and elsewhere can rise substantially.

As ever, it’s either worth it or it isn’t. Personally I reckon the one steps are now too much for me. There, now I’ve said that there’s going to be a one step issue that I absolutely Must have! Damn…

1 Like

I agree there are third party sellers trying to cash in, however the TP’s as far as I’m aware are not intended to be limited and “out of stock” titles do re appear.
Similar to the Music Matters, quality control of TP seems very good I’ve had only 2 or 3 problems over both series. Unlike the imo diminishing returns and over hyped One Steps where there have been many reports (including here) of disappointed punters receiving faulty pressings/packaging and getting poor customer service.
Just my view of course
:heart:

1 Like

If you could have a desert island One Step what would it be?

Are Tone Poets limited editions I’m not sure they are will there be second or third pressings? where as One Step and UHQ Analogue Productions are limited editions so there is that I suppose but I agree they are over priced but as you rightly say it’s up to the individual to decide.

Also if you shop around and are patient you can find TP for under £25 as all of mine have cost but the other pressings mentioned only go up.

Now that’s a question. I may have to consider a while, although David Bowie’s Hunky Dory would be lovely, but the original tapes may well be past saving now.

5 Likes

Theoretically no

They aren’t technically limited in pressing number, but they can and do go out of stock or out of print it seems, so if there’s a title you really want, don’t hang about.

I agree, but I was making a point that for a while at least they do come back around. Up until quite recently the very first release Wayne Shorter Ecetera was still in stock although not today :joy:

Just back from picking up prescription. Dropped into a charity shop on the off chance and came away with four Sky albums and a Thin Lizzy in Nag anti stat bags so may be playable after a wash. For a £1 a pop worth a punt. :grinning:

5 Likes

Sounds like they came from a good owner, hopefully you’ve had a result :+1:

1 Like

Received today from Diverse Vinyl, Charlie Mingus, Tijuana Moods. A Speakers Corner record, lovely music and a good quality record.

5 Likes

After sending back Mark Knopfler warped box set for a refund. I finally tracked down a new one with no warped records. They have had a wash and are ready for the weekend sessions. :grinning:

2 Likes

Ordered from the official Lana Del Rey store. First copy sent out had a very annoying scratch/repeated click on side C so got in touch and asked for a replacement. Thankfully they didn’t ask for the faulty copy back which is just as well as the replacement had a few clicks on side B so between them disc 1 from the first one they sent out and disc 2 from the replacement I now have 4 good sides with no pops or clicks.

3 Likes

That looks a lot of faffing and potential to damage records further, im guessing that’s a spin clean your using. Have you considered a vaccuum type machine? Their easier, less laborious and more effective at cleaning (with air drying theres always contaminated fluid left on the record which drys and leaves the dirt behind).
They have come down in price a lot nowadays, I use a Pro-Ject VCSII Alu, great value for money and does a great job.

:heart:

4 Likes

Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus…., Impulse/Acoustic Sounds. (2021)

A lovely big stash of records arrived today and first is this truly exceptional pressing from AS flat, quiet and everything you’d hope for.

Fairly new to Mingus but absolutely loving this as an old hippie might say Far Out Man!!

7 Likes

Donald Byrd - The Cat Walk, Blue Note

Herbie Hancock - My Point of View, Blue Note (2008)

Pleasantly surprised with these two Blue Notes though The Cat Walk isn’t dated on Discogs it has the same very good quality thick card sleeve as the Herbie Hancock not up to Tone Poet standard but much better quality than the recent Classic Series covers.

Both where pressed at Rainbo Records and Laquers cut a Better Quality Sound so I’d presume they’re both from the same period both are flat and pretty quiet and sound excellent. I’ve only listened to a track from each but loving both.

5 Likes

Chet Baker & Art Pepper - Picture of Health, Pacific Jazz/Pure Pleasure.

Excellent Pure Pleasure reissue.

5 Likes

I’ve got to get help, my name is Bob and I’m a vinyl junkie.

Another little splurge just too cheap to pass up.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Columbia 50th Anniversary Box Set (2008)

Though I have at least six copies and am waiting for the AP UHQR I couldn’t turn this up at just £25
2 CD’s , DVD and a vinyl copy also an excellent booklet, photos etc.

Dina Washington - The Queen, Mercury/Speakers Corner (2000) £7

R-3892473-1348313749-9681.jpeg

Chet Baker - Chet Baker & Crew, Pacific Jazz/Pure Pleasure (2010)

Pressed at Pallas mastered by KG & Steve Hoffman. I’ve read mixed reviews online but at £18 prepared to give it a shot.

Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis, 4 Men With Beards RM

No details apart from remastered from original Analogue Tapes but again at £10 it’s worth a punt. I’ve seen a few 4 Men With Beards releases but never owned one it seems a bit of a mixed bag so far as reviews go so fingers crossed.

6 Likes