What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Malcom Jiyane Tree O - Umdali, Mushroom Half Hour (2021)

A truly exceptional record from this young South African highly recommended if you like laid back and Soulful Jazz music.

3 Likes

Spaza - Uprize (Music From The Original Motion Picture) Mushroom Half Hour (2020)

On the same label as and featuring the excellent Malcom Jiyane. Members of Spaza also collaborated with Shabaka Hutchings on his excellent Wisdom of the Elders.

3 Likes

Larkin Poe and Nu Deco big band…Paint The Roses live recording.

Short. Sweet.

Had to ream out the spindle hole, apropos of the thread about reaming…

Sounds good!

Available on Juno downloads £5.83

1 Like

I thought you didnt like artists like Shabaka Hutchings etc, I guess your warming to them now
:heart:

Bit of fun. Surprised at how different iconic tracks sound on my system, as I’ve never heard them on vinyl before.

4 Likes

Surely you’re not allowed to play this while still in the first half of November?!?!

1 Like

Or indeed ever?

1 Like

Couldn’t resist.

Pft. First mince pies consumed back in October. It’s never too early :stuck_out_tongue:

JINGLE BELLS

1 Like

Oh I grant you, supermarket sweet pastry with a sticky, e-numbers drenched filling are fine any time after August bank holiday, the date the shops have cleared away the barbecue accessories to make space for them.

However, playing ‘Wonderful Christmastime’ this side of the December 1st should be punishable by thumbscrews. Or Jive Bunny.

1 Like

Dusty in Memphis - 4 Men With Beards reissue.

Like Carole Kings Tapestry this reminds me of my Mum until I just played it through I’d forgotten how much this was played in the house growing up.

My Mum always said she was the Queen of the Mods.

4 Likes

Chet Baker and Crew - Pacific Jazz/Pure Pleasure.

Not KG and Steve Hoffman’s best work but much better than the Boblicity Mono release called Cools Out that I already have so a worthwhile addition.

1 Like

Spaza - Uprize (Soundtrack) Mushroom Half Hour (2020)

Excellent South African Spiritual Jazz Film Soundtrack. Both records I have on this newish label are excellently mastered and sound lovely though both have very, very small warps just big enough to notice but to small to be an issue for me anyway.

3 Likes

Stunning World Party Goodbye Jumbo just realeased on Vinyl

12 Likes

R-874805-1168013835.jpeg

Just bought this, from Discogs…

3 Likes

Charles Mingus & His Jazz Groups - Mingus Dynasty, Columbia Mono (1960)

A lovely six eye Deep Groove Mono press from 1960 not sure if it’s a genuine first press from May 1960 or from later that year until I get a look at the runout but a bargain at £20 regardless.

4 Likes

Such a good album :sunglasses:

Bought this from a company in Germany (I’m in the UK), was really looking forward to listening (it’s one of my favourites on CD and streaming), but so disappointed at the state of the disc when it arrived, massively warped. Will try and flatten it out but really hacked off. Any suggestions on the best way to try and correct the warp? At the moment I’ve sandwiched it between some (very) heavy books.

It needs heat while being flattened - just enough for just the right amount of time. There are special machines designed to do this (look for Furutech or Orb) or else you could try DIY with some glass and an oven. Beware though, it’s easy to get it wrong with the DIY method and ruin the disk…