What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

And prompted by @TheKevster, three Pure Pleasure/Nimbus West titles to dip my toes…

Horace Tapscott And The Pan African Peoples Arkestra - Flight 17

Horace Tapscott And The Pan African Peoples Arkestra - The Call

Nate Morgan - Retribution Reperation

:heart:

4 Likes

Laura Viers My Echo. A very lurid pink slab of vinyl indeed! I like LV a lot but I realise this is the first album of hers that I’ve bought on vinyl, hitherto all my purchases of her music have been on CD. This one sounds really good and the pressing is perfect.

2 Likes

@TheKevster
Got the above as Diverse had those in stock to add to some other reservations, planning to check out some more Nimbus West titles from Pure Pleasure, really liked the Creative Arts Ensemble streamed on Qobuz, couldnt find Linda Hill what kind of singer is she, straightahead, out there avant garde etc
Thanks again

1 Like

Not listened to a great deal of Laura Veirs, I have July Flame on LP. The label owners (Bella Union) are regulars in my cab

R-2101806-1472686998-5555.jpeg

1 Like

She’s a pianist @Dreadatthecontrols - an excellent one too. Heavy spiritual/avant garde vibe.

1 Like

Oh right! Must have her confused with someone else :joy:, ta

Cafe de Flore Charles Webster <3

Stick stick stick stick sticky sticky stick stick
Stick stick stick stick sticky sticky stick stick,
repeat until your eyes bleed and your brain turns to jelly.

1 Like

All this for £1 each this morning.
The kraftwerk is original from 1974 too. ABC is for a friend ( already got it from 1982?)

16 Likes

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Big Beat.

Finally turned up today. Cleaned and given its first play already. Great program, and a wonderfully clean pressing - phew! I’ll listen at leisure tonight.

11 Likes

What a Box!!! Black Tie / White Noise - The Bass is tremendous, nothing like my original copy. Hope the rest are the same….

7 Likes

Great to hear the pressings good, that’s a good album. Hopefully Optimal have now got a grip on their non fill issues
:+1:

Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings Again, Timeless Records (1986)

Recorded live on October 2nd & 8th 1985 at Studio 44, Monster, Holland
Chet is in top form both vocally and musically backed by long time partners Michel Graillier, Ricardo Del Fra and John Engels.

4 Likes

The above label Timeless Records are releasing a few recordings in conjunction with Music On Vinyl to celebrate their 45th Anniversary though no Chet unfortunately which is strange as Wim Wigt was both Chet’s friend and admirer.

Horace Silver Quintet - Six Pieces of Silver, Blue Note Classic (2021)

Excellent mid 50’s Horace Silver featuring Donald Byrd and Hank Mobley really enjoyed this record which has been really nicely pressed by Optimal.

6 Likes

Yes really nice pressing Graeme I listened to mine earlier in the week.

1 Like

I saw Darryl Pandy singing Love Can’t Turn Around at The Pink Coconut (I think) in Brighton as a 17 year old in 1986 and was hooked.

That one was only 75p! And, at 33rpm. Did catch me out.

1 Like

Mingus - The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady, Impulse/Acoustic Sounds (2021)

Another excellent release from Acoustic Sounds.

More weird and wonderful music from Charles Mingus sounds from the past, present and way into the future. I was late coming to Mingus and Jazz in general and initially four or five years ago when I first started listening to Jazz I couldn’t get my head or my ears around his music but the more Jazz I listened to the more understanding I gained for this wonderful music.

Though he doesn’t appear on this record it was Horace Parlan one of my favourite Jazz pianists who played on much of Mingus’s earlier records that led me to listen to Mingus again and again and again…

I particularly love the Spanish Guitar playing on this record by Jay Berliner who I’ve never heard of Mode D - Trio and Group Dancers is just exceptional.

6 Likes