What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

SY355
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 30 - 32
Alexandre Tharaud

His last vinyl was pretty disappointing but giving Erato LP an another go.

1 Like

4 Likes

I was going to buy this Christine and the Queens record but for some reason I seem to like the album loads more in French.

I’m guessing the version on offer from hmv is in English…?

It is indeed the English version

1 Like

Mercury Rev Bobbie Gentry’s The Delta Sweete Revisited

Got it today in anticipation of seeing Mercury Rev in concert next week, with Beth Orton and Marissa Nadler.

7 Likes

IMG_0556

Well, I’ve finally taken the plunge and purchased my first vinyl albums since around the late 1990s. Yesterday I bought Aja by Steely Dan and So by Peter Gabriel from HMV at two for £25. Aja is the Back to Black release from a couple of years ago, which has benne mentioned on this forum a few times. So is described as a half speed mastered record.

Since joining this forum a few years ago and learning about the various streaming options, I have been toying with the idea of selling my LP12 and buying a streamer. The trouble was, even though these days I listen mostly to CD, I found it hard to let go of my vinyl and, when I did use the LP12, it sounded so good, despite it being overdue for a service. Anyway, after mulling this over for years, I finally decided to buy these two albums and see if they improved on the copies I already have.

Aja is a definite improvement on my copy, probably bought in the late 1980s. Unlike my earlier copy, the Back to Black copy has a gatefold sleeve, with inside sleeve notes, a lyric sheet and full details of the musicians who played on the album. It is a quiet pressing and sounds much better than my old copy.

With regard to So, the new release does sound better than my original, which is a first pressing, but to my ears the difference isn’t as great compared to Aja.

Overall, I am very pleased and I have decided to keep the turntable and, in time, look to upgrade it. Eventually, I may replace my CDX2 with a streamer.

12 Likes

Fabulous having this back on pristine remastered vinyl

8 Likes

Just been on a rather fruitful trip to Brighton, with 15 LPs acquired for £64. The first of these was a brand new Speakers Corner pressing of this classic, for just £14.

9 Likes

A UK 1974 first press of the Stones’ It’s Only Rock And Roll in EX+ condition (sleeve and vinyl) for just £10. Very happy with that!

6 Likes

All UK first pressings, £4 each:

7 Likes

UK A7/B9, £4, absolutely mint:

9 Likes

Super Session: LOVE it!

1 Like

US first press, “Terre Haute” version:

1 Like

All UK first presses, just £2.50 each:

3 Likes

6 Likes

All UK first presses:

6 Likes

Court and Spark
Near flawless US (Canada?) first press.

Just lovely. Been on a Joni kick lately. ‘Mingus’ next…wanted that for ages.

Oh, and the Chris Bellman London Calling set:

6 Likes

Bat For Lashes - Lost Girls on coloured vinyl. Arrived today, so look forward to giving this a spin over the weekend.

2 Likes

Cracking find!!

1 Like

Lark’s Tongue in Aspic

Unknown

6 Likes