What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I too am curious about these remixes of some of the St Germain Tourist release - is there enough variety to recommend a purchase @Debs ?

There is a CD issue of The Travel Versions double LP with exactly the same track listing and I did consider getting it, but the fact that it didn’t feature all 9 or at least more than 4 different tracks was disappointing. The original disc mixes and sound quality is of course, very good and regularly played here, which makes me wonder how these sound.

My 2 x CD edition of Tourist additionally has 3 alternative remixes included!

4 Likes

From Bandcamp: Our Friends, the debut album from Dalston-based singer/songwriter Lila Tristram. On nice transparent blue marbled vinyl.

1 Like

Sam Wills, Breathe. This has just been discovered in the study as an unclaimed delivery. It had my name on it and the only paper trail I could find was a paypal receipt from October in my inbox. Nothing from the retailer. We saw Sam Wills as a support act in October. I now vaguely remember ordering it… I shouldn’t be allowed access to my phone when I’m listening to Qobuz with a bottle of red wine.

The sleeve appears to be signed! I look forward to giving it a listen later.

1 Like

Bit disappointed TBH :neutral_face: :-1:
It’s not particularly bad, but certainly a down beat also-ran for Saint Germain.
All tracks come with an automated dance beat, so a monotonous, repetitive, and unimaginative album that seamlessly blends into a forgettable bass beat blergh, i was expecting so much more… would have been far better for Ludovic Navarreto to have stuck to the well proven jazzy re-mixes with the musicianship inspired percussion.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Debs, I will save my pennies for something more worthy.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback !

1 Like

Martin Freeman & Eddie Piller - Soul on the Corner, Acid Jazz (2018)

Excellent collection of rare Soul 45’s from Dr Watson and Mr Acid Jazz.

2 Likes

This one arrived sooner than expected; Nina Simone’s debut release mastered and cut by Kevin Gray, with a nice think card tip-on sleeve. Only one word to sum it up: Wow! Delighted with this one.

11 Likes

I listened to this more than once over the Christmas period and not being a Nina expert was particularly impressed with her piano playing.

According to the original notes by Joseph Myranyi she taught piano for a living in her early years and accompanied vocal students, while at the same time she did two years serious piano study at the Juilliard in New York.

2 Likes

In classical terms, she was concert standard.

5 Likes

My first disc of 2022, thank you.

Yes, and I have always understood that it was racial prejudice that frustrated her classical music career and led her to turn to jazz.

1 Like

Richard,
I’ve seen you mention a ‘tip-on’ sleeve on a number of occasions. Would you please explain what this means.
Thanks.

1 Like

Tip-on sleeves use high quality paper (often varnished) which is then stuck or “tipped on” to card. Tip-on sleeves were used mainly in the US during the '50s, '60s, and even into the '70s.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.

Richard, there seem to be two versions of this - a black one and a blue one. Do you know if one is better than the other?

Meanwhile, this arrived today. It’s the mono version on Music On Vinyl, and sounds really lovely.

1 Like

I have the black one (I generally shy away from odd coloured vinyl as it can hide issues and can sometimes be noisy) and can confirm it’s fab.

Thanks.

My last of 2021 but thank you too