What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Oh dear… Best of luck.

Pity, the one side I could play on the Blue copy sounded very good. I’m sure I’ll get a good Black pressing from somewhere else, at least Diverse were good to let me know
:heart:

My copy has a very slight dish-warp, and playback has too much noisy crackle.
Going back for replacement… at least this is easy to do with Amazon.

Thanks Debs, hope you get a good replacement, was yours the Black or Blue pressing?

My black copy is absolutely fine, flat and silent.

It’s disappointing that so many of these ‘audiophile’ releases seem to have issues. You’d think at the prices they charge that they’d all be pretty much perfect. I had a Blue Note reissue that was really bad and had to go back.

1 Like

Thanks H, it’s not an “audiophile” release though, its released by BMG. Anyway 2 of us got a good one and 2 not, so a bit hit and miss maybe

black vinyl, the dish-warp is so slight it’s not really an issue, but the crackle :grimacing:

The parts that do sound okay do hold up to good potential so i look forward to the replacement.

1 Like

Let’s see what all the fuss is about…

5 Likes

Do let us know

Mostly negative reviews on Discogs re pressing. I’m shocked this has come from RTI who ime usually very good, hope their not going the way of Optimal

My replacement copy arrives here tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Well, the packaging is really nice. The box, the classy tip-on cover, good quality inner sleeve. Some might not like the “technical specifications manual” booklet etc, but I think it’s nice to know the effort they have put to the detail.

The record itself and the mastering: it’s a quiet and a very good press. No faults. As per sound, it is very natural. I think it excels particularly on Paul Chambers bass which has a really nice texture to it compared to other versions of KoB that I’ve heard. All the three horns are also very nice sounding - no extra harsness, very sweet and just the right amount of air around them.

Is it worth the asking price? Of that I’m not sure - for some it must be, for some not so. But it is a really nice version of one of my all time favourite records, and when there is that quiet night when you just want to forget about the world, put a record on and close your eyes, this record and version would be on top of my list to play.

5 Likes

Thanks haupitsi really nice write up unfortunately I’m still waiting on mine but no doubt it will turn up eventually. Like yourself this record is a real favourite of mine and I’m really looking forward to hearing this copy for myself and comparing it to my other copies.

On the question of value people attach different values to different things it’s no more costly than going out for a nice meal or to a concert.

1 Like

I enquired last week and was told that a “production extension has caused yet another delay in the release of this item. Production delays are, sadly, beyond our control”.

I’m not entirely sure what a “production extension” is - they’ve decide to press more? It’s taking longer than planned?

My copy too is excellent, dead flat and very quiet and for the £19 I paid on Pre release it’s great value too. I bet yours sounds fantastic on that P10.

I think 25,000 was the original run and I imagine hand pressing all of those is going to take a fair amount of time let’s hope it’s worth the wait.

Thanks. I actually managed to grab my copy from the first batch - a German web store had one copy left just before Christmas, so I decided to take a punt. I hope your copy will arrive soon!

Hi @haupitsi
Thanks for taking the time, nice to hear your enjoying it
Sorry if I dont understand the meaning of texture in a musical context
May I enquire which other pressings/masterings of KOB you are comparing to?
:heart:i

In my view it is overpriced for the price most outlets seem to be asking (around £180). A well known UK web shop had in stock last week for £140.

Sounds like BS to me!