What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

[quote=“Bobthebuilder, post:6194, topic:186”]
it’s no more costly than going out for a nice meal or to a concert.

I agree up to a point, you can of course go out for a nice meal at a nice price or eat the same meal in an overpriced, pretentious restaurant served by a sniffy snobby waiter, or go to a concert and pay the price commanded by a greedy artist, Mr Weller?
Of course were free to make the choice and if one likes it… :wink:

1 Like

just needs a bit of quality control before they package - clearly some dont bother

1 Like

By texture I tried to capture the tactility of the sound, the timbre, and the way you can hear/feel both the body and the strings of the bass. It is hard (for me at least) to find the right words for these things from time to time, especially when I’m not a native speaker of English!

I’m afraid my experience with different pressings/masterings is quite limited - on CD I’ve got the plain 1997 Columbia Legacy version and MOFI SACD and on vinyl the 2015 Columbia Legacy / Sony version. The MOFI SACD is very good, but it has a bit more tape hiss on it compared to the UHQR. Also, the MOFI is probably the most laid back sounding of the four, when the Columbias have a bit more attack to them (i.e. sharper trumpet, clearer piano). The differences between MOFI and UHQR are not night and day at least on my modest setup, but they are there. And of course, I am comparing vinyl and CD here, so it is not a straight forward comparison. Then again, when comparing the UHQR to the 2015 Columbia vinyl, the differences are a bit clearer - less background noise, clearer separation of instruments, the texture (!), overall a bit smoother representation of sound on the UHQR.

But again - none of these versions are poor in my opinion and I could live with any of them if I were to have only one. However, if I could pick the one, it definitely would be the UHQR.

I was teasing @haupitsi no worries.
I was also amused by your comment about “just the right amount of air”, what is the right amount?, I hear air on my system but how much should there be, do I have too much or too little? I would need to know the measurements of the Columbia studio in New York to be able to calculate the volume of air in the recording space.
(Sorry I’m of course being tongue in cheek)

Anyway, to be serious for a moment, I have the Bernie Grundman Classic Records AAA mastering of KOB and I’m more than happy with that. My understanding (please chip in and correct me if I’m wrong anyone) is that the UHQR is sourced from the Classic/BG mastering /metalwork so the difference fundamentally is with the pressing, so an interesting comparison would be the Classic vs UHQR and whether the UHQR really does significantly improve on the Classic? (Notwithstanding an original 1st press Columbia)

Interesting that you find the UHQR just “a bit clearer” than a 2015 Columbia (Sony Legacy) re issue

:heart:

2 Likes

I paid $116 dollars inc p&p from the Miles Davis Store you have to add 20% to that so about £100 which although expensive is for me worth it if it’s as good as I’ve read.

Well the right amount would of course be not too little and not too much, wouldn’t it? :wink:

Of course terms like “right” or “accurate” are always individual dependent (and very problematic) - just like high fidelity. Few of us have been present at the recording session or heard the original master tapes. And even if we would have, we all would still have our own ears!

I would love to hear the Grundman Classic some day, and the original six eye. But for now, I think I’ll settle with this version and look for other records to play too…

1 Like

I managed to get away with just under 150 €, so a bit more than you paid. Hope you find it worth the wait and expense when the record arrives!

1 Like

Hi Richard from memory you ordered from Miles Davis store in USA as did I. I enquired yesterday and they said they had received the records and would be shipping them imminently and I would receive an email to confirm shipping.

Prem.

Thanks Prem. Not quite what I’ve been told but I’ve patiently waited for this long, so I’m sure I can carry on waiting longer…

Hello Prem,

We appreciate that you’ve taken the time to contact us.

I am so sorry for the delay. Unfortunately, delays have seen production extensions for many items, and this one is no exception.

The good news is that the product has arrived, and orders are being prepared now for shipment.

You will be notified by email when this order ships. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Chivas
Customer Service

Hi Richard,

See above for the email I received.

Prem.

2 Likes

Yes but you miss my point, as I was saying what is the right amount, how do we know, has it been measured :wink:
My system has a variable air setting btw
812I9vBLIjL.AC_SY450

You are hearing it, just the pressing is different

FWIW…

The two Classic Records reissues sound closest to the new UHQR and to suggest that the UHQR is a “must have” if you have either of those or the Quiex 200g version would be hyperbolic so I’m not going to suggest that,… Michael Fremer

To be fair Mikey does add that if your TT is “suitably precise” (whatever that’s supposed to mean) then the difference is “significant”. Then despite suggesting he wasnt going to get into hyperbole, he does!

Very clever! I’d try mine also, but it’s -22 degrees Celsius outside. :cold_face:

(Sorry for the OT, I’ll behave now.)

1 Like

Really looking forward to listening to this when it arrives.

3 Likes

Great package and some excellent drum tracks.

1 Like

I’m always a bit skeptical about these “lost” recordings but it seems to have had some very good reviews. Let’s hope it’s a good pressing. Crossing everything.

Under £18 on River for a double album that just sounds superb. Who needs to spend £100 on a UHQR!

4 Likes

If you could get one at that price it would be a relative bargain

Ah, I see your in Finland, nice part of the world if a bit parky!

1 Like