What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

@Bobthebuilder This has finally arrived. It has a little dent on the top left corner, but it’s come all the way from Alabama so maybe it’s not surprising. With postage, it wasn’t cheap, but these seem to be very hard to find now. It’s a lovely album indeed, and completes the set of four. There was of course a fifth in the box set, but I can live without that one.

2 Likes

It’s not up to Tone Poet or Acoustic Sounds standards but for what is a ‘ Lost Recording’ it’s very good.

1 Like

Yes indeed that fifth record unfortunately it’s only available with the box set perhaps I’ll a find a loose one one day but until then I won’t loose any sleep together the other four do make a lovely set.

Yes, there are some excellent facsimile adverts, photos and other stuff. And, as you say, some amazing drumming.

1 Like

Idris Muhammad - Turn This Mutha Out, Soul Brother (1917)

Reissue of the excellent Jazz/Funk/Soul Classic from 1977

1 Like

That’s good to hear. I contacted them in early December and after a two week wait for a reply (!) they said they were expecting to ship before the end of December (I took that remark with a pinch of salt given it was the holidays).

So, the fact they have them in the store now, definitely counts as progress; I’ll keep an eye out for the shipping email.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes hopefully we should all here something soon. If I ever get a shipping notification I will post on here to let people know.

Prem.

1 Like

Just arrived. Good clean pressing except for a very very minor warping which I can just about live with. Time for a spin!:sunglasses:

4 Likes

plus:

A £35 lot from the second hand shop.

All the covers are good to excellent, the vinyl ranges from mint to visually scuffed.
Presently working my way though them on the RCM.

10 Likes

An impulse buy… Not as good as “Modern Times” with some extremely “worthy” lyrics.

Track 1 side 1 has a minor jump, whereby 1 line of lyrics is skipped over, but after running it through the RCM it is a pretty quiet copy with good production/sound quality.

2 Likes

That Dicky Wells looks interesting.

How was your replacement copt of Nina Simone? I’ve sent mine back and ordered another from a different source, fingers crossed again!
:heart:

1 Like

That’s exactly what i thought :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
It only cost 50p
The outer cover is a state for sore eyes but the vinyl looks merely very grubby but may clean up okay with some scrubbing, only very light scuffs.
I’m hopeful, it’s next up on the RCM…

Nina Simone replacement is perfect, really pleased with the album too :grin: :+1:

2 Likes

That’s good to hear, I enjoyed the one side that I could play, hope my replacement works out. There are quite a lot of negatives about the pressing on Discogs which surprises me as its pressed by RTI
Anyway, enjoy your scrubbing

1 Like

Chico Freeman - Spirit Sensitive, India Navigation/Paddle Wheel (1980)

Japanese pressing by King Records this is one of the best records I’ve heard in a while fantastic choice of tracks recorded by an exceptional group of musicians.

Chico Freeman - tenor saxophone
Cecil McBee - Bass
Famoudou Don Moye - drums
Billy Hart - Drums

3 Likes

Both mastered from the original analogue tapes.

6 Likes

Weekend can come. Arrived this morning.

5 Likes

1 Like

Just arrived from Diverse Vinyl…

John Coltrane - Live At The Village Vanguard (AS Series/Impulse)

The latest in the excellent Acoustic Sounds Series of Verve & Impulse re issues.

9 Likes

What a Joy!

Marvellous.

2 Likes

Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams - Motor City Scene, Bethlehem RE (2022)

No all star remastering and no pressing details that I can find but sounding excellent for the £16 pre order price I paid it’s fantastic value not to be ignored as ‘non Audiophile’ whatever that is. Highly recommended.

3 Likes