What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Sadly I have two versions of the Eva Cassidy Blues Alley double LP set and both had issues. For both the first LP centre hole was way too small, needed too much force to place on the spindle. In both cases the second LP was bell shaped,enough to cause tracking problems for the first two tracks on side 2. Why make such an effort to get the master analougue tape and then mess up on the pressing?

Cash n Carry…cushty!
:+1:

1 Like

Chet must be one of my earliest memories of Jazz music filled summers. An album of his suits my collection nicely. This record was on my list, as it is an early career recording, and doesn’t go for the obvious Chet hits. The recording is very crisp and clear, pressing and cover are both excellent…

And then I did just to the title, It could happen to you, and it did happen, I dropped it. My first offence so I got off easy, the surface is full of smudges and a couple of scratches. Luckily for me, none of it audible, phew!!

Rex’ vinyl #59

Chet Baker - Sings, it could happen to you
Pressing 2021 / Riverside Records, Craft Recordings

3 Likes

1 Like

I have had this LP for some time:

It was from Charly and essentially Little Girl Blue in mono with a few added tracks.

So I was intending to get the recent BMG/Bethlehem LP, which everyone was enthusiastic about, except then there seemed to be pressing issues, while I also read that the stereo image had Simone in one channel (true?).

Then I discovered this:

This is Little Girl Blue in mono as done by Pure Pleasure in 2013 but still available on their website. The cover artwork seems to have been originated for a reissue for King Records in America in 1962. As ever with Pure Pleasure, it is an excellent pressing and sounds far superior to the Charly version.

As a PS and to be fair, I should add that I ordered this from Scott Nagle because I thought it was OP, and his service was efficient. In the past I have registered problems I have had with his service, but I was inclined to try again after Richard D’s report of satisfactory experiences. It seems that all is fine if the order is straightforwardly for something in stock, if not then customer service can be wanting.

5 Likes

I knew this album was going to be something special as soon as I saw Harry Beckett headlined on the front cover. His distinctive trumpet sound is there from the very start in the opening track Red Sky In The Morning bringing to mind his sublime performance on Mike Westbrook’s Metropolis.

What a great album this is! And all the better for being mastered and cut by Gearbox Records. If you love British jazz this is an essential listen, and I reckon it will be on fairly regular rotation over the next few months.

9 Likes

I have the compilation album, I recently bought the Kevin Gray cut BMG re issue of LGB. I was initially sent in error the Blue pressing which was off centre on one side, the Black vinyl pressing I got as a replacement is fine and I would recommend it. There have been a few complaints about the pressing and no doubt there may be some rogue pressings out there, just buy or order from somewhere that doesnt quibble about returns so if your unlucky you can exchange it for a good un, get the Black pressing. Nothing wrong with the stereo mix on my system/ears

The Pure Pleasure is quite well regarded I believe but I dont have it. Its likely to be all analogue. The BMG is a new remaster, maybe digital source not sure but Kevin Grays mastering retains to my ears the analogue character to the sound (it’s a new remaster by I cant remember who offhand and mastered to vinyl by Kevin Gray, to my ears it does sound like its quite transparent to the original analogue tape). Certainly doesn’t sound “digital” in a nasty way (the Charly is a 1982 compilation and may also come from a digital source, possibly a lower resolution one but I’m making a reasoned guess, then again according to Discogs it didnt come out on CD until 1986 so who knows?)
It doesnt surprise me that the Pure Pleasure sounds better than the Charly, I think it’s a fair given

BMG are following up LGB with the Bethlehem compilation, I forget the title I thinks its Nina Simone And Friends which includes tracks that didnt make it to LGB like African Mailman and material by other Bethlehem artists

:heart:

2 Likes

I love Harry Becket and likewise my attention was drawn to this for that reason. It’s been on my want list for a while but must have overlooked its release so thanks for posting

(Edit, not a label I’ve heard of before My Only Desire, triple vinyl - a double and one single sided, hows the pressing Richard?
Cheers
:heart:

Mine seems well pressed and sounds great.

1 Like

Thanks, will be ordering

They are a great label run by an enthusiast. I have a Mike Westbrook set as well as the Collier and iboth are excellent.

Ah yes, I think I did see the Mike Westbrook one
Thanks
Edit:
I did. This one…

3 Likes

@CliveB
I forgot to add it’s less than £20, so worth a punt if your in doubt?

Have never used SN but from reports I’ve read one of the issues is advertising stuff in stock that isnt

Agreed Richard an excellent record I bought it because of Harry Beckett but was equally impressed by Ed Speight on guitar and Egil Johansen on drums both of who are new to me.

Sir Edward - The Power of Feeling, Jazz Room Records (2022) PRE ORDER

Sometimes a record comes along that you’ve not heard before and it just blows you away. Not heard of the label so until it arrives I can’t comment but the music is fantastic.

1 Like

If you’ve not heard it before and its not arrived yet, how does it blow you away?
Have I misunderstood something :thinking:

Really?

Eh? Really what?

I’m really at a loss , honestly I’ve no idea the point you’re trying to make .

1 Like