What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Dread, I’m guessing here that Bob has been listening to it online and is now awaiting the vinyl.

I do this with quite a number of vinyl purchases of new music. I find something I like and then if I really like it I might investigate the vinyl.

4 Likes

Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game, Blue Note/Tone Poet (2021)
Missed this when it first came out but happy to add it to my collection now.

2 Likes

Thanks for this RD. you’re introducing me to a new arena here. I don’t know any of these British Jazz artists. I’d like to test the waters. Would you recommend this album above the Mike Westbrook, Metropolis Album? If not, is there a particular pressing of the Metropolis album that I should be looking for?

Hope Richard doesn’t mean me chiming in but Jazz In Britain via Bandcamp has some excellent British Jazz from the the 60’s and 70’s and at very reasonable prices.

2 Likes

All welcome. Thanks Bob. Any particular favourite recommendations for you for albums in that Jazz in Britain section you’d steer me to?

This is as good a place to start as any.

If it’s all very new then Gilles Peterson’s Impressed albums from about 20 years or so ago give you a nice sample and overview.

And of course I couldn’t go without recommending my favourite British Jazz album of all, Don Rendell and Ian Carr’s Shades of Blue.

2 Likes

On Jazz In Britain there is a live LP by Ian Carr and Don Rendell promoting Richard’s excellent recommendation Shades of Blue called Blue Beginnings an excellent Ian Carr release Solar Sessions although I’m still waiting for my vinyl copy ordered last Summer, Group Sounds Four & Five - Black & White Raga is also excellent though the vinyl is sold out the digital file I have is excellent another file by the Tubby Hayes Quartet Free Flight is also excellent.

Other than Jazz In Britain Decca have released a series of LP’s called British Jazz Explosion again featuring Don Rendell and Tubby Hayes as well as an excellent compilation that are well worth looking at.

1 Like

Likewise
:+1:

Me neither with the really? comment. I obviously missed something

I wasn’t making a point, just asking
Anyway…

6 Likes

New release today (Jan 21 ‘22) from Blue Note Classic reissue series. Don Cherry Where Is Brooklyn. Great example of 60s avant-garde jazz.

4 Likes

Yes I agree about the PP pressing, it is superb. So much for me not to need the new pressing.

2 Likes

I’d strongly recommend Stan Tracey’s Under Milk Wood, which is recognised as a British jazz classic.

2 Likes

A real favorite of mine Clive but really silly money for a decent vinyl copy nowadays a reissue is long overdue.

You can sometimes get lucky with this one, especially the stereo issue. Failing that the Steam reissue is usually pretty inexpensive.

Edit: apologies, not Mole but Steam. Just be sure to get the right one (not the one with narration and the red print on the cover). IIRC it was cut by Ray Staff.

2 Likes

Along with all the other recommendations I would also second the Decca British Jazz Explosion Series

The compilation is a good introduction
Journeys In Modern Jazz:Britain
Mastered by Gearbox Records

Don Rendel - Space Walk I really like

Jazz In Britain have some really interesting stuff, variable source quality, the vinyl releases are usually very limited so you have to be quick

Mike Gibbs - Revisiting Tanglewood 63

Don Rendell/Ian Carr - Blue Beginnings

A took a punt on this re issue recently from Bewith Records a label I’ve not heard of before and it’s pretty good
Ian Carr Nucleus - Roots

Annoyingly I seem to have mislaid it but Mr Bongo have done a nice re issue of Ian Carr - Belladonna

As you can tell I like a lot of Don Rendel & Ian Carr, the above suggestions are in addition to those already mentioned. The cream of the crop though imo are the Don Rendell/Ian Carr Landsdowne Recordings from Jazzman, not sure if their still in print but he has repressed them from time to time so worth watching out for

:heart:

4 Likes

Hi Josquin, hope the pressing is good I’ve been put off a lot of the Classic series lately as Optimal have been on a bit of a slide

You can also sometimes find this wonderful Lansdowne Series sampler for not too much money;

4 Likes

Love to see Joe Harriott on there

If you fancy a dip into new British Jazz that has grown around the Jazz Re:Freshed inclusive scene of fine young talent the We Out Here is still a great compilation album and primer

We Out Here (Brownswood Recordings)

4 Likes