What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Hi Dread - thanks for your comments. I made a decision to get the PP issue because I knew that it was AAA and it seems possible that the mono might be a reasonable option with a recording of this vintage, even though the first issue was stereo. I’m very happy with the PP, even though it was more expensive than the recent BMG/Bethlehem pressing. I was certainly confident that it would improve significantly over that Charly LP which, like you, I have had for years.

The problems I had with Scott N in the past were exactly with in-stock claims and I was holding my breath after ordering, but it is only fair to report that on this occasion he provided a good service. He wouldn’t be my choice above Juno, etc though.

1 Like

Decca reissues: does anyone know if these are one-off pressings or whether they are like the current Blue Notes where they do get repressed. I want the Don Rendell Space Walk and belatedly looking now find that it’s already become rare and quite expensive. I could wait if they are going to repress, but maybe I shouldn’t take the risk.

1 Like

VANILLA_FUDGE_VANILLA+FUDGE+-+45RPM+-+180GM-7691801

VANILLA FUDGE Vanilla Fudge (Limited Edition 2020 US Mobile Fidelity 11-track audiophile MONO double LP.

1 Like

They have gotten better, starting last fall. I was told by an industry insider that they made some changes to improve quality, especially in terms of non-fill issues. My reissues from December and January all sound great and have no issues.

3 Likes

I’m not sure Clive, with these kind of niche (for want of a better word) records I tend to grab while I can. Theres always the slight concern that represses may not be quite as well pressed second, third time around

1 Like

In general represses should be no worse or better. The plates are limited to a number of pressings and replaced by new plates. You could potentially get the 500th pressing off a plate on first release and the first pressing off a new plate on a repress later on.

1 Like

I agree Clive, although I dont actually have it I would expect the PP to be very good as are all their releases (I’m currently really enjoying their Nimbus West re issues). The BMG is readily available and for the price an easy buy but I may still check the PP as well
:heart:

1 Like

I know that’s the theory but plates do progressively wear over a period of time. It’s not like after say 5000 there Is all of a sudden a marked deterioration.
I prefer to buy first release/press generally for that reason and that’s my view, yours of course may differ

That’s good to hear. Optimal have had quite an issue with non-fill recently to the point that I’ve played any new purchase that came from optimal with baited breath and fingers crossed waiting for that dreaded shhhhhh…shhhhhhh…shhhhhhh that just drives me crackers! :joy:

…and lifes too short

1 Like

But that was my point. Whether it’s a first press or subsequent press, how much the plate has been used is a crap shoot. You can get a first press where the plate is at the end of its life, and a later press with a shiny new plate. If I want a record I get it on first press, because you can never tell when it will get repressed. Could be months or a lot longer.

1 Like

Yes of course. Sorry I’m in the middle of auditioning a phono stage, was playing Brubeck very loud and not paying that much attention :joy:

Laters…

Ooh thanks for the tip-off JDP - ordered!

1 Like

@CliveB
I bought mine from Juno, you might also try direct here…

Charles Mingus - The Jazz Experiments of…., Bethlehem (2022)

Another BMG Czech produced Bethlehem reissue featuring tracks from two early Mingus 10” releases. Sounds good and pressed well not considered an ‘Audiophile’ release but worth the £16 paid.

2 Likes

Unfortunately all the usual suspects have it listed as out of stock.

My wife having fun sorting out they bags of records. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Catching up with Anna von Hausswolff, interest piqued by @TheKevster, @AndyP & @crispyduck :

Should blow the walls down on speakers…'phones only tonight.

And All Thoughts Fly incoming on tan vinyl, egad…

4 Likes

My wife would rather be putting my records into boxes and getting shot of more than a few!

3 Likes

Amazon have 3 copies left for £37 inc free delivery, there are also 15 copies on Discogs starting at about £35 inc postage.