What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

At work at the moment and so cannot listen to confirm exactly where the fsst sounds come in and also won’t be able to collect my TP copy until tomorrow at the earliest to compare.

I’m certainly no expert in these matters but to me and I’ve listened to the Classic Records version at least 25-30 times right through (it’s one of my favourite Blue Notes) and it sounds to me like an issue with the original recording.

1 Like

What a track As Sweet As… is though @Isca_Dumnoniorum it’s always incredible to me how a track without any lyrics can convey so much truly wonderful.

1 Like

Just ordered a copy.
Dont know much about Sonny Red so been doing a bit of homework, apparently his recordings arent particularly regarded with the exception of this Blue Note session.

Anything with bassist Paul Chambers usually piques my interest and especially when accompanied by Philly Joe Jones (not on this session)

1 Like

Indeed - though Paul Chambers only features on the last two tracks on this LP. Sam Jones plays on the majority.

1 Like

This beauty is not on Tidal, so have to play it through Spotify. I forgot how soulless and empty that quality is. The playing however, Herbie is very unlike Herbie on Peace With Myself, but very nice indeed. Intense, interesting, did not know this album. Thank you!

1 Like

Arrived home to another superb next day service from Juno & Royal Mail.

Ian Carr - Belladonna (Mr Bongo/Vertigo)

Nice re issue of Ian Carr’s '72 (iirc) Jazz Prog fusion album. I bought this when first re issued last year, played it a few times then mysteriously lost it and have been searching ever since. Original copys cost a bankers bonus and this re issue was getting pricey on the collectors market, I was getting p*ssed off so big thanks Mr Bongo for this repress.

:+1:

3 Likes

Sonny Red - Out Of The Blue (Tone Poet/Blue Note)

4 Likes

Ill Considered - Liminal Space (New Soil Gatefold 3 sided LP)

@BlueCanary :+1:

:heart:

2 Likes

I’m delighted to finally receive this BN Classic LP after waiting so long (the pre order didn’t go well as the shipment arrived with the supplier damaged and then they couldn’t replace). It was well worth the wait. Excellent cut and pressing. A great album too, essentially continuing the kind of jazzy funky soul groove from Stepping Into Tomorrow. Speaking of SiT, could we please have that reissued in the BN Classic series, please…

5 Likes

Hi Richard, my copy arrived today of Sonny Red, not played yet, I couldnt really see the issue with the sleeve you mentioned? Mine is more or less the same as other TP’s I pulled at random to compare.

Mine definitely overlaps front to back by a few mms. Not a deal breaker, just not as perfect as I’ve had previously. Good for you though.

1 Like

I’m struggling to picture what you mean. This is mine, is yours different? Just curious, Ive bought many of the TP series, this one doesnt seem to differ particularly

2 Likes

Exceptional early Jazz/Funk from pioneers Fonce & Larry Mizell IMO there is not a bad record on this Album and great work by Kevin Gray who just lets the original production shine through.

I was turned onto this record 30 years ago by Paul Weller who used to tag (Falling Like) Dominoes onto the end of his track Remember How We Started there’s an excellent example on his LP Live Wood.

Shelly Manne & His Men – Vol. 4 - Swinging Sounds, Contemporary Records. (1974)

This a King Records Mono reissue from Japan.

R-22247443-1645449470-1048
R-22247443-1645449470-9707

Sir Edward - The Power of Feeling, Jazz Room/Encounter Records (2022)

This doesn’t claim to be an ‘Audiophile’ reissue but the pressing is fine and it sounds very good if you want to own a copy of this record but don’t want to shell out between £150-£200 then £18 for this Jazz Room reissue is a bargain.

1 Like

Miles Davis - 1958 Miles, Wax Time RSD Mono (2017)

Recorded by two different Line Ups in 1955 and 1958 this also has two extra tracks Budo and Sweet Sue, Just You.

Wax Time is a Spanish label who always use a plant that use a Neuman DMM press I know there are a couple still in operation around Europe including GZ in the Czech Republic but not sure exactly which one WaxTime use.

I have to say though I have several WaxTime DMM pressings and they are all excellent this particular one is as flat as a pancake and really, really quiet. If your running a vinyl set up as a secondary source and don’t want to spend huge amounts on records then you’ll not go far wrong with these.

4 Likes

Jackie McLean - A Fickle Sonance, BN80 (2020)

Sounds fantastic I bought it especially for Subdued but flicking through the other tracks Sonny Clarke’s Sondu & Five Will Get You Ten are also excellent.

3 Likes

@Richard.Dane & @Isca_Dumnoniorum I’ve just listened to side 1 of the Classic Records Bernie Grundman cut and there is a definitely slight fsst during Stay as Sweet As You Are, I’ve still not collected my copy from the PO but it does sound like it’s an original tape issue.

2 Likes

Thank you Bob - and good to know the Tone Poet reputation survives another day.
@Dreadatthecontrols for info.

This is very interesting - I have this one, purchased during my early foray back into vinyl.

Having read up about the various labels to avoid, I’d assumed subsequently it was a Russo CD-derived rip off - ala Doxy etc. If Wax Time is legit, I must dig out and re-evaluate.