What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

A first UK pressing and in splendid condition (just needs a good clean) from a local record fair. Not to bad I thought.

6 Likes

Caveat emptor re Passing Ships.

I hear a lot of distortion on this record, including some alarming clipping in the right channel on the Sax and saturation of the Bass during Plantation Bag, track 3 side A .
A quick search including Discogs reviews indicates many others hearing this issue. Some saying that its down to users having cartridges not optimally set up (I doubt) others saying its been cut too hot.
I note that the worst side (A) is credited as cut by Joe Harley & Kevin Gray, wity B&C cut by Kevin Gray

I have this but not listened to it yet. FWIW I think that the cutting of side A is credited to both KG and JH.

Yes, their both credited in the dead wax KG & JH. First time I recall anyone else being given a cutting credit other than KG and only on one side.
I’ve corrected my previous post

Went into town to buy a lettice and had a quick shufti in the junk shop. Came away with these three.

I really shouldn’t be allowed out without a supervising adult. Happy day.

17 Likes

Nice collection there.

1 Like

Having another listen after playing with Vtf, bias etc. Sounds better but there is still the clipping toward the end of Plantation Bag, maybe not such a big deal when taking the record as a whole, be interested how you find it

Saw ‘Passing Ships’ at a record shop in Totnes today - was on sale for £56 (!) - and I did think of this warning. I can pick it up online for cheaper, so interested if this is a significant SQ problem on all copies.

Theres quite a controversy over distortion on a number of other forums including SHF, Discogs etc. Many complain of it, many say they cant hear it and a mutitude of speculation as to what the cause might be.
I’ve made a few adjustments and the only issue now is the clipping I mention above. Whether it is a big deal or not will probably be subjective and maybe system dependant.
In my opinion (and based on what I’ve been studying about this) despite what others may say its not a great recording/source. The original master to quote Michael Cuscuna was a “train wreck” so Malcolm Addey prepared a new mix and analogue master from the 8 track session tape. The same guy who did the 2003 CD. Its interesting to note that Malcolm Addey is in his 90’s.
Listening to the CD stream from Tidal its clear that this is a very edgy recording often on the edge of distortion.
KG/JH cut the vinyl “hot” as they say, .ie without compression or limiting. I think that the “hot” cut from an already edgy sounding recording has revealed more of the warts and the clipping I hear.
It could be something amiss with the pressing but to my ears doesnt sound like any issue Im familiar with, I may try another copy.

Maybe this has something to do with why RVG didnt release it at the time?

That said, the music is great If you can listen past the “rough edges” to quote Mr Cuscuna again.

1 Like

Very interesting Dread - thanks.

I’ve borrowed the images below from Discogs as I’m having some phone issues but asap I’ll add my own.

Shelly Manne & His Men - Vol 4 Swinging Sounds, Contemporary Records Mono (1974)

This is a Japanese King Record Co. reissue of a 1958 recording featuring Charlie Mariano, Leroy Vinnegar, Russ Freeman, Stu Williamson and of course Shelly Manne on drums the music itself is excellent but the King Record’s pressing is top notch a real treat.

R-22247443-1645449470-1048
R-22247443-1645449470-9707
R-22247443-1645449470-9907

1 Like

It’s not apparent on all copies / replay equipment. Both I and Dan Steel, formerly of this parish, believe it to be very good. In fact, Dan wrote on another forum today that he believes it to be one of the best Tone Poet releases.

2 Likes

Good to know Clive - many thanks.

George Melly - ‘Nuts’ (1972) and ‘Makin’ Whoopee’ (1982). Both from charity shop today.

3 Likes

Like I said its controversial some hear it some dont, some have tried the same record on different TT set ups and systems and still hear it. Those I’ve read that have tried replacement copys still hear the issue.
Personally I wouldnt say its the best of the TP series in terms of SQ and I have bought many as well as MMJ’s.
I think its best judged for yourself

Btw I dont hear the fsssst sound others complained of on the Sonny Red. Funny old business innit, none vinyl lovers must view us as crazy with all the hurdles and pitfalls not to mention expense that we go through :joy:

1 Like

Who is Dan Steel if I may ask?

He used to be on this forum. He is a prolific record collector.

1 Like

To provide some clarity through the noise on this one, this is what Michael Fremer said in his review of the album on the Analog Planet website:

“Highest recommendation, musically and sonically! One caution: Kevin Gray cut this one appropriated (sic ) hot so be sure your stylus is super-clean and that your VTF is correctly set or you might experience some break-up that I guaranty (sic) you is not the record’s fault.”

I doubt my turntable is anywhere near approaching the spec of his, but it sounds fine to me and I am super critical of poor vinyl records.

1 Like

That maybe true but I dont take everything Mr Fremer says as Gospel. The number of people complaining of issues cant all be wrong and they cant all have crappy systems (enter the arena of audiophile snobbery.)
If the record has been cut so hot that it renders it unplayable to many then thats not a good mastering job imo and silly as there are going to be a lot of returns as a result thus undermining confidence in the brand.
If their setting out to make some kind of audiophile system challenging supercut, fine but there should be a disclaimer on the sleeve. I have other TP’s and MMJ’s cut hotter than this all of which play fine and have better overall SQ.
Anyway, I dont think the hot cut in itself is the issue rather than it revealing an issue backstream down the source chain. It sounds like the Sax and ensemble brass peaks overloaded on the recording (RVG mixed and EQ’d on the fly), or on Malcolm Appleby’s analogue mix/transfer (it isnt on the CD/Stream also transferred by MA) its only a couple of brief bursts but its very jarring in my system.

I do recall yourself having some issue with the sound @Clive and the hot cut which you said you needed to keep backing off the volume iirc to be comfortable with it, we had a discussion about that.

I’m seeing if I can get another copy just in case, I wonder though if some peoples systems are airbrushing the issue or some dont recognise/notice the clipping or arent particularly sensitive to it. (I remember once at an audio show where a system was being demonstrated with some vintage Jazz, most people in the room seemed to be enjoying the “HiFi” sound whereas my ears were drawn to the awful distorted and clipped sound)

Its certainly an odd one, as the clipping is blatantly obvious and I cant see it being a pressing fault and my system is in good health.

Anyway, not wanting to turn this into the sort of punch up that goes on on other forums. Two people who own the record on this forum and reported back are you and I, so its 50/50 so far which would appear to mirror my reading elsewhere

Just to be clear from my end, I’m not talking about “noise” but very obvious clipping/overload /distortion