What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Is that the clipping on Dizzy Reece’s trumpet solo? It does tend to happen quite a bit on RVG recorded Blue Note sessions, due to his close miking technique and level adjustments on the fly. Tommy Turrentine’s trumpet on ‘A Fickle Sonance’ is another good example.

2 Likes

Amancio D’Silva - Konkan Dance, Roundtable Lansdowne Series (2017)

This is one of the best records I have heard in a very long time and of it’s time completely original. Recorded for Denis Preston’s Lansdowne series in 1972 and featuring Don Rendell and Alan Branscombe it was for some reason shelved and a couple of years after Denis gave the perfectly preserved masters to Amancio it wasn’t then released until a CD and then a vinyl copy with a run of just 26 copies A-Z came out in Italy in 2006

The copy pictured below was released in conjunction with Amancio’s son Stephano another excellent guitar player and the Roundtable Jazz label in 2017. They’ve done a really excellent job but although I’m not sure if it’s All Analogue I can say it’s 100% taken from the original masters, it’s pressed at GZ and has those typical DMM characteristics of being dead flat and silent so I presume it was cut on their Nuemann DMM lathe.

Check out Amancio’s other Lansdowne releases they are all excellent and available on reissue all apart from Reflections.

2 Likes

Bill Evans Trio – Sunday At The Village Vanguard, Waxtime (2012)

Another Waxtime DMM pressing that is surprisingly good beautifully pressed and sounds excellent of course it’s not the very best but I do not have hundreds or even thousands to spend on a top copy and this is an improvement over the Tidal Stream and will suffice until I find an early OJC copy.

6 Likes

Knud Jörgensen– Knud Jörgensen Jazz Trio, Opus 3 (2001)

I’d never heard of Knud until last week but what player this isn’t experimental Jazz or McCoy Tyner or Andrew Hill it’s just beautifully played and traditional.

Opus 3 is a Swedish label but the record is mastered at The Cutting Room as new to me as it is to you I suspect but they’ve done a fantastic job with this record.

The pressing is flat, pretty silent and sounds excellent.

4 Likes

As promised here are some pictures of my own copy

2 Likes

The 'Oo.
Sell Out.

You don’t get this with streaming!
Wonderful package and great music.

11 Likes

I’ve had this on CD for quite awhile.
But this is tremendous on vinyl. From the tactility of the matt gatefold cover to the great pressing of this double LP. ‘Metal’ as it should be. Stuffs all those spandex, studs n leather posers.

A favourite heavy album of mine. Up there with Isis’ Oceanic. Superb stuff

3 Likes

Lyle Lovett, Joshua Judges Ruth, a recent reissue by Vinyl Me, Please. I was pleased to see the announcement for this, as copies of the original vinyl pressing are scarce and eye-wateringly expensive.

Unfortunately, this one is defective - a constant rustling on North Dakota, which happens to be my favourite track - so it’s going back. The reviews on the Discogs page indicate that this is a common problem.

2 Likes

61GswqSjO1L.AC

Impex 180g 2011 remaster… :sunglasses: :notes:

7 Likes

I didn’t buy this, rather I was given it by Flook when we had the pleasure to present them last night. I’m looking forward to listening to it a little later.

3 Likes

Double 45rpm 180g remastered, reissue… :notes: :grin:

12 Likes

Andy this is a brilliant sounding / beautiful produced album from Impex which I have been enjoying for a week or two.

ATB Graham.

1 Like

Graham, I seem to be suffering with some sibilance on her vocals, I take it you are not with your copy?

Now you mention it Andy yes I have touch of sibilance on rock you gently, which I put down to close studio miking, nothing on somewhere somebody, but it is on the edge of sibilance if that makes sense?

Have you any other pressing you can compare it to I only have the original CD release so not a true comparison. I hope your pressing is not spoiling your enjoyment.

Graham.

Thanks for your reply Graham, it’s reassuring you have it as well.
I recently bought a CD copy so will compare it.
Thanks,
Andy.

Looks nice Stevie, tell me more…

I have an original and it’s also noisy in places and cut at a low volume that exacerbates surface noise. I’ve put it in my playlist and I’ll see how the Krystal renders it compared to the Dyna 10x5.

1 Like

More excellent next day service from Juno/Royal Mail

Jelly Cleaver - Forevor Presence (Gearbox)

Chelsea Carmichael - The River Doesnt Like Strangers (Native Rebel Recordings)

And the lovely Nicola has kindly let me have another copy of Passing Ships to try free of charge and keep the one I’ve got.
I think I’ll hold on until my new cart is properly run in and my new HCDR/Superline has arrived (pull your finger out Naim) before commenting further.

:heart:

3 Likes

Earthless. Live in the Mojave desert. Three songs over two LP:s :blush:

1 Like

How are the pressings?