What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Well, yes. Actually we’re enjoying quite competitive pricing on vinyl and CD lately. CDs have been around since the mid ‘80s. Since then inflation has tripled, meaning something which cost £1 then should cost £3 now. I can recall paying £15 for CDs in 1985. Now you can buy most new releases for £10 or less; wait a few weeks and they’ll be even cheaper. If they’d followed the general inflation rate, they ought to cost £45. Such is the benefit of volume and competition.
Vinyl was typically £10 in the mid ‘80s, so paying £30 for Tone Poet releases is what you ought to expect to pay for a bog standard release, let alone a premium pressing. And remember, vinyl in the ‘80s was awful quality (probably to persuade us to buy CD, which, as we know, offered “perfect sound forever”).

2 Likes

Haven’t played it yet, my vinyl rig is in the UK, i am not at the mo. However,lots of reports of poor pressing quality 8-(

I’ve not jumped into buying this LP reissue yet. Mainly because any vinyl noise or issues will ruin it, so unless the pressing is totally immaculate (think Nimbus at their best) then I’ll be sticking with the CD.

I hope it works out well for you though.

1 Like

7 Likes

I’ve been buying a few albums lately and some of them that have the cardboard inner sleeve have so much static that the turntable mat nearly jumps up to meet the album and then the mat is stuck to the album when I lift it off the turntable. How do you guys get rid of this static?
I have replaced all these type of inner sleeves with some nice reassuringly expensive MoFi ones.

Project VCS record cleaning machine does the job very nicely but that might be a bit of overkill depending on the size of your vinyl collection and budget. It is the first thing I do with any record I buy, new or used, it gets a spin on the RCM and then put in an anti-static inner sleeve if it doesn’t already have one.

Yup, if you run the LP through an RCM it gets rid of the static - then place inside a nice clean anti-static inner sleeve.

Nice one. Thanks gents. I was in my local dealer last week and I noticed that he has a Okki Nokki sitting on a shelf that I think he uses himself. I’ll go and have a look.

Which helps to prove my point because if a CD that with inflation a should cost three times the price it’s sold for today means it was wildly over priced back in the 1980’s. By the same calculation a vinyl LP that is being sold for exactly three times what it was in the 1980’s (because of inflation) is still over priced.
My point is also that if a Tone Poet LP released just a few months ago can be sold for less than a third of it’s original price then it surely can be priced a bit more competively to begin with otherwise the real collector who wants their record as soon as it’s released is being ripped off a bit.

Arriving Friday…Thanks For The Dance - Leonard Cohen.

6 Likes

Yeah. Awaiting my copy also. On vinyl.

Postie brought these today, both 2xLP from The Sound of Vinyl sale at £9 each. The Brian Eno is an Abbey Road half speed remaster.

Brian Eno - Ambient 4 On Land

AC

7 Likes

Maag/LSO: Mendelssohn Scotch
ORG 45s.

1 Like

Kuma, please let us know how well (or not) it sounds. The Maag Scotch Symphony and Hebrides Overture is a favourite early Decca SXL. I had high hopes for the Speakers Corner reissue (one of their first), but it was a bit of a disaster - really flat and dull. I guess they were still on something of a learning curve.

I will Richard.
I remember about your Speaker’s Corner experience. There was something to do with not using an original tape? Speaker’s Corner classical reissues have been somewhat of a hit and miss for me. IME, Testament reissues were far better.

This is my first ORG label so I am curious about it, too.

SS500

My second TPT album…:grin:

3 Likes

Just arrived. Released today Leonard Cohen latest album “Thanks For The Dance”

4 Likes

just arrived with” Dynamite” as a free bonus cd

6 Likes

Half speed remaster vinyl plus high res download, not bad for £13 plus shipping!:smile::+1:

6 Likes

Very good - I love Peter Gabriel’s third album. Is that the double LP 45rpm version?