What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Its a fine album, however straight after I played the Acoustic Sounds Trio 64 which I found to be a better sounding recording to my ears.
Trio 65 is recorded by Rudy Van Gelder who didnt always record piano so well from what I’ve read (and heard)

That’s interesting Dread. I’ve now given it a couple of plays and I did think the piano sounded bright on a couple of tracks. As you say, still great. Must do the comparison with '64.

I found the piano on Trio 65 a bit veiled and occasionally a bit edgy and distorted which is typical of the RVG sound, he often recorded very hot and close miked which didnt always serve the Piano well (Google Rudy Van Gelder Piano Sound)
Trio 64 by contrast sounded fresher, more open, transparent, in the room with the Piano having a more natural and sweet sound.
If you have both of these AS masterings see what you think

1 Like

I do and I shall.

I really must concentrate! :grinning:

1 Like

Be interested in how you hear it. In due course of course
Laters
:heart:

1 Like

Is it the same mix as the original?
I have the original on vinyl and bought a CD to copy to a portable player but it’s not the same. I have half speeds of Avalon and Flesh + Blood and they’re very good.

Hi,
I don’t know, this is the first copy I’ve ever owned. I’ve nothing to compare it to.

Okay, no worries.

Is the Half Speed Master of ‘Avalon’ a recent release? Love the album and always after a ‘better’ copy.

The release date of Avalon is 1/7/22. I have it on order and that’s what a recently received email told me.

1 Like

RSD part 2. Got this in 1977, when it was best versions of some live songs from that tour.

This is one gig in its entirety. Got it on the CD box set, but listing on my B&O TX2 will take me right back.

The queue in Frome was not so big today.

5 Likes

I wandered in around noon, queue of one (me) and got everything I wanted, no sweat !

RSD 22 titles
Miles Davis
Art Blakey
Be Bop Deluxe.

Mine is from 2017 and is really good. Having said that the original pressing is very very good too. I bought the half speed to protect the old copy.

1 Like

Had to visit two shops today but I managed to get the RSD2 releases I was after.

As big a fan (mug?) as I am, I was still more than a bit miffed at paying £35 for Macca’s 12" single though!

1 Like

I got this yesterday, when the Unthanks, who are one of my favourites, played at one of our shows. They were kind enough to sign it too. It’s a 10” box set.

7 Likes

Everyone should have one.

11 Likes

I agree!
The Trio 64 set is well worth it too, if you havent already, I think its better
:heart:

1 Like

@CliveB @Richard.Dane

Just thought I’d let you know I got a replacement (My Favourite Things) and it doesnt have the non fill issue.
So thanks again
:+1:

3 Likes