What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Chet Baker Quintet - Night Bird, Circle Records (1980)

One of a pair of LP’s recorded Live at Le Dreher Club, Paris in June 1980.

3 Likes

Any good Bob?

This. Sounds fab on first listening.

Her new one, Fossora.
Always loved Björk.

I’ll have to get The Sugarcubes on over the weekend.

9 Likes

Hi @carruthersesq It’s not one of his best this and Tune Up the sister record from the same concert where recorded by Circle Records owner Rudolph Kreis apparently by just sticking a mic in the middle of the room and that combined with the uninspired playing make it a bit weak.

As is normal with Chet during this period even on his mediocre nights he has his moments but if you look at the photographs taken from this concert and the black and white film from the same venue earlier in the year you can see that he wasn’t in the greatest shape.

So it’s one for the completist really there are many recordings on youtube of this concert Live at Le Dreher if your curious.

1 Like

The Black Angels - Wilderness Of Mirrors.

Sophie Zelmani - The Word Ain’t Pretty (2022)

Very good album! The sound quality is really good and the pressing is flawless. :ok_hand:

Thanks Bob, I’ll do some googling.

No worries.

I’m a huge fan of Chet and a collector of his recordings both good and bad.

As you most likely know and probably because of his lifestyle especially during this period Chet was capable of the sublime one night and the forgettable the next.

1 Like

Sorry, what was that?

1 Like

51Pm0ds3tAL.SY580
51pAqPc0k6L.SY580

These two dropped yesterday. Cleaned on the RCM then played. Both perfectly centred, flat and devoid of pops and clicks. A welcome change of late.
Both enjoyable too. The Seasick Steve offering being all analog too.

3 Likes

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot!!!

This is the 7 album version, flat, quiet, good dynamics and off course some of the best music of the 21st century. Loving the tracks on the making of the album, will be playing the live album later tonight. Mastered by Bob Ludwig.

Also, price had reduced on the River for a bargain price £97

Jaco Pastorius MOV 2010 Release
Just an excellent record, nice pressing, fantastic SQ
Top recommendation for 25 EUR

4 Likes

Just arrived:
Chet Baker in Tokyo - Four
Made in Japan

4 Likes

Very nice record I saw that they had reissued this and the sister LP Memories both are excellent.

Chet Baker Trio - Intimacy, Red Records (2022)

Recorded Live in Milan 1987

s-l500

3 Likes

Hit Me, The Best of Ian Dury. Good
fun and gets your feet moving and head bopping.

The Clash, Combat Rock.

8 Likes

Picked these up at the same time as a decent copy of the new “Pink Floyd Animals 2018”, which after a full play through is quite without the hideous blemishes. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

‘Crocodiles’ by ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN

Echo & The Bunnymen’s early albums are absolute belters.
There’s a raw energy to Crocodiles, their debut album, that is infectious and oozes self-assuredness.
Its raw, edgy, dark and menacing. Occasionally sounding like early Cure (in a good way) this is glorious.
Great baselines and classic indy guitar jangle throughout. A must on vinyl that blows away all digital formats which just sound lifeless in comparison.

E&TB went off the boil by their eponomous fifth album which was patchy and over polished but does contain 2 cracking songs (Bedbugs & Ballyhoo and Lips Like Sugar).

7 Likes

Another album that has taken three attempts before getting a non warped copy!

5 Likes

Strut Records double vinyl:

2 Likes