What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Live at Blues Alley is the only album released in Eva’s lifetime, remastered in 2021 and released for the first time on vinyl, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the concert. Nightbird is the full 30 odd track concert, remastered in 2016. They are both great albums, but I prefer the sq of Blues Alley and to me it hangs together better as an album.

2 Likes

1 Like

Bruce Springsteen - Only The Strong Survive
Limited Edition - Orange
Etching on 4th side. Gatefold jacket with printed inner sleeves and a poster

7 Likes

Just arrived from UK: my wife’s Christmas gift, to be placed under the Christmas tree.
A little, just a little, piloted by me.

16 Likes

5 Likes

John Grant, lovely presentation with lyric sheet and a great sounding record.

6 Likes

Michael Jackson, Thriller. Analogue master to DSD and then analogue. This Mofi One Step not as good as I expected. And Mofi for the first time state they use a DSD step. I think the original analogue master may have degraded. Very expensive for what you get. But Super Vinyl definitely very quiet.

Edit - on reflection the reason i was not impressed was because even though there is detail there, but can’t feel any soul in the music

4 Likes

These four. Will provide many hours of pleasure.

10 Likes

Alice Coltrane - Ptah, The El Daoud. The last vinyl I bought… for now!

6 Likes

Signed copy bought from the merch stall at their gig in Canterbury on Friday night. Already have it on CD but nice to have a signed copy and I like vinyl better anyway

6 Likes

Picked up from the record shop today.

4 Likes

I have Nightbird. In what way do you find the SQ on Blues Alley to be better?

Grachan Moncur III - Evolution. Another stunning release in the Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series, sounding wonderful and perfectly pressed too. This and Andrew Hill’s Point of Departure (see my post above from last week) should not be missed!

10 Likes

I second Point Of Departure (I have the MMJ 33)
I think I’m less familiar with Evolution, so if Optimal have sorted their QC I might have to check that out
:+1:

1 Like

I have found both to be absolutely perfect, so fingers crossed Optimal have sorted their non-fill issues for the time being…

3 Likes

I too have both - perfect pressings.

3 Likes

I have a weak spot for Stella by starlight. Oscar Peterson plays it thick, but lovely on this album.

I can’t quite help having some doubts about the story on the back concerning the black forest mps sessions of a small group of fortunates having artists play just for them, but that might be just me. The set is very good nonetheless (!).

Great pressing as always so far by Speakers Corner, flat and dynamic.

Rex’ vinyl #86

Oscar Peterson - The Lost Tapes (Exclusively for my friends)

1965/67/68

Pressing 1997 / MPS 529 096-1 / Speakers Corner / Germany

6 Likes

Roy Brooks - Beat, VBR/Jazz Workshop (2022)

Remastered by Ryan Smith and pressed at Third Man in Detroit. Excellent pressing sounds lovely.

In the library of tragic Jazzmen Roy Brooks’ story is particularly heart breaking this date though on Berry Gordy’s Jazz label Jazz Workshop was recorded when Roy was still quite young in 1963.

Also The Free Slave on Muse Records is worth checking out though vinyl copies are pricey.

5 Likes

I have two releases from this excellent series there is an MPS boxset which I’ve been hoping to find at a reasonable price but individually these can still be had for less than £10 each.

1 Like

Probably the finest version of “BonB” that I have and I have many….enjoy!