What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Agree with your points Richard and so far this Verve By Request series is I agree not up to either of the Blue Note reissue series which is most probably due to the source material it is though a cracking LP and will get played a lot.

Really looking forward to Ahmad Jamal’s - The Awakening set to be released as a part of this series just like Ptah the El Daoud and Roy Brook’s Beat it’s a very rare record and if it’s comparable to those two I’ll be happy to own it.

I usually skip Tone Poet releases but this one caught my ears from this bluesy swinging tune ‘Don’t Get Too Hip’ with Sonny Clark’s lovely piano a bit reminiscent of Cool Struttin’.

6 Likes

One more gripe with this pressing I forgot to mention; the spindle hole is fractionally small, which means that while it will fit just about OK with a firm push onto the spindle of the Rega RP10, it’s a no-go on something like a Garrard 401 and will need to be carefully reamed out.

As someone who worked at the RM for 30 years I can tell you that strikes will not result in the kind of delay you’re experiencing. 3 or 4 days at the worst certainly not two weeks.
Its a convenient excuse for some online sellers to blame delays on postal strikes.

Leftfield. This is what we do.

2 Likes

Matthew Halsall - Changing Earth ep, Gondwana Records (2022)

Not released until last week but recorded between Dec 2019 - June 2020 another exceptional group of songs written and played by the Mancunian maestro, without doubt one of our best musicians, songwriter and owner of this excellent label.

4 Likes

Got this through the post today: Tohru Aizawa Quartet - Tachibana Vol. 1. Incredible Japanese Jazz from the mid-70’s with insane amounts of energy and drive. It’s on Qobuz as far as I know and may be elsewhere, definitely worth checking out.

3 Likes

Kalak by Sarathy Korwar, clear vinyl edition:

1 Like

Syd Barrett, An Introduction To Syd Barrett on double vinyl.

3 Likes

First time on vinyl. A bit noisy between tracks but tracks themselves are ok.
download

1 Like

John Lee Hooker, this has everything, done an impressive job on this release. Preordered the next one ‘Burnin’ based on this from Craft. Nick Cave is a nice improvement over my CD rip with more definition to the vocals with 2 bonus tracks and at less than £18 from Amazon.

3 Likes

Thriller MoFi Vinyl, a lovely collectors item of a classic album, but sadly was very underwhelmed by how this pressing sounds.

3 Likes

I’ve just ordered the Craft reissue of The Healer. Looking at the matrices posted on Discogs it seems this is a re-press of the Classic records issue, in which case it could well be something rather special.

2 Likes

I’ve got the Classic Records version of this and it sounds very good indeed so if it is the same cut using the same parts you are in for a treat!

Just got these for my Birthday, my family knows me so well.

2 Likes

Arrived this week.

5 Likes

Richard, I have all 112 of the Music Matters 45 RPM titles, and about 2/3 of their 33 RPM titles, including both 33 and 45 versions of Point of Departure. Not only is this album easily a top five pick of the MMJ catalog in either form, but it a true gem of the entire Blue Note catalog. One of my all time favorites.

2 Likes

How is it? I have the excellent Pure Pleasure reissue and also a Boplicity reissue of Playboys and so have been holding off from buying this I may just wait to pick up cheaper copy if one comes up later on.

1 Like

These arrived late last night, played “Something in the air” that I really enjoyed as never got into the Hours album but these tracks really stand out. Also played “Look at the Moon” this is recorded straight from the sound desk but is quite bass heavy but works well. Maybe not Neil Young quality but still good.

Got to now decide if it’s worth buying the remaining 2 from the series.

7 Likes

Got to add, playing Fame from “Look at the Moon” it completely blows you out of your seat!!!

2 Likes