What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I use Spincare Polylined White Paper Sleeves.

2 Likes

I wouldnt recommend dry vaccuuming for the reason I mentioned, you dont want any bits of grit or such like trapped between the vac arm and vinyl.
Once a record has been wet cleaned and stored in poly sleeves, on subsequent plays I just use a carbon fibre brush.
Oh, and gently wipe your stylus after every side, I have a little carbon fibre brush supplied with my Dynavector, there are various stylus cleaning accessory’s on the market but I find a simple carbon fibre brush to be effective. I also have an old Audio Technica stylus vibrating cleaner.

Fine

I tend to do one pass of a mixture of Isopropyl alcohol, diluted with distilled water and a wetting agent (Ilfotol), followed by a second cleaning pass of L’Art Du Son & distilled water (mixed as per instructions), and then finally a rinse with distilled water with 5ml of Ifotol. All applied in the following 500ml lab bottles. Time consuming, and a bit of a faff, but really effective. Would love an ultrasonic machine!

1 Like

Isopropyl alcohol (or any other alcohol) for vinyl cleaning is controversial I personally avoid it

I use the original Project Solution which I mix 1:20 in a small fine spray bottle. I apply the solution in a mist, clean with the supplied brush in both directions and then vacuum for 4-6 rotations.
I also have a Carbon Fibre record cleaning brush for use prior to playing.
All sleeves on pre-owned records are replaced and I never use the cardboard sleeves and store these with the records in external poly sleeves.
I am quite fanatical about my records, but always open to learning different/better ways to care for them.
I too, never use alcohol based cleaning solutions.
Thank you both for your insights🙂

2 Likes

Yes, there is much debate online as to whether it has any detriment. I asked a friend who’s partner is a chemist and she said it should have no effect if heavily diluted. Although, I’m probably going to err on the side of caution and once my IPA has been used I’ll not renew my supply and just stick with ADS.

I believe Isopropyl to be harmful on vinyl, wont get into lengthy boring detail here, I have experimented in the past and didnt like it.
Thing is, diluting it suffuciently to render it harmless is in my view defeating the object as the alcohol at such dilution is unlikely to be doing anything.

Sounds like your doing fine :+1:

Agree with all the advice that @Dreadatthecontrols has given- I use the project cleaning machine too and it’s excellent.
Added advantage of cleaning new records is it completely gets rid of static electricity
I haven’t got the energy to have cleaning fluid at 2 different concentrations- so I use 15:1 concentration for all records- using distilled water, not tap water.

2 Likes

R-3164615-1318694545
Per recommendation from a friend. Nice to discover a new music this way. Looking forward to it!

3 Likes

Thanks Christoph, I believe I know who he is. I would like to send you a private message about this. Please let me know if this is ok and I will ask @Richard.Dane to give me your email if you are happy to do so.

cheers,

Ian

Very important, never use tap water :+1:

2 Likes

I always use distilled :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, I use the mister for coverage, but I am not stingy with the volume.
I get the records plenty wet enough, although I haven’t given them much soak time in the past. Will definitely change that going forward.
Thanks again for the tips :+1:t4:

1 Like

Just received a ‘wrong item’ delivery from Amazon:

Green is Beautiful / Grant Green

This is not the Bobby Hutcherson & Harold Land / San Francisco i was expecting and really looking forward to :thinking:

However i wouldn’t mind buying this Grant Green album too, rather than send it back; looks like an album just too good to return! :smiley:

12 Likes

Hi Ian, I wrote an email, hope it works.

Hi Christoph,

It did and I have replied.

I’d be careful not to overdo the rotations on drying, I find two rotations is always sufficient. I also brush the felt strips on thevvacuum now and again with a micro fibre cloth to keep them clean. Once it’s not drying as effectively, change those felt strips!

1 Like