What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Joining the Herbie bandwagon - looking forward to hearing this one later…

10 Likes

Lots of Members seem to be buying Blue Note LPs at the moment - I have also, getting a number of Horace Silver LPs recently.

3 Likes

Oh yes, this is so true :+1: I bought 4 of them in the last days, all of them with fantastic sound and pressing :ok_hand: Actually I am listening to them all in a row.
BTW I only paid the original price for the one from HH, all the others were reduced to 25 to 35 %. You will be rewarded if you had time to wait :wink:

5 Likes

I have just been handed Groundhogs’ ‘Split’ on red translucent vinyl, so that’s a couple of hours lost this afternoon! I haven’t heard this album in at least 20 years, so I’m really looking forward to it. It will be played as loud as I think the QUAD ESLs will stand for.

I’m also making arrangements for scaffolding outside my house for re-painting the external walls and Crittall metal frames. The sea air in Brighton plays havoc with paintwork and metalwork, and I have to get the exterior attended to every two years.

2015 Speakers Corner reissue… :sunglasses: :notes: :+1:t3:
I am pleased to report no faults with this! :grinning:

7 Likes

My new Miley album going back with a pressing fault🫤

Sorry to hear that @QuickSticks the joys of vinyl eh… :wink:

1 Like

I wanted the red one, but it was over subscribed when I preordered it so I ended up with the clear one.
They say clear vinyl is always the worst, as apparently the darker colour pigments make the vinyl more robust. Don’t know how that affects the pressing, especially as the blemish looks like a bit of gunge on one side only🤷🏻‍♂️

Don’t worry about the colour the best Vinyl is supposed to be virgin vinyl
“ not the label” and it’s almost clear.
The only coloured ones that can be very nasty are picture discs.

2 Likes

I feel your pain! Very frustrating and hope you manage to get good replacement without flaws.

Has there been a recent quality control dip I wonder? Overall, I’ve got off quite lightly since I started buying new records and not had to return any, but I’ve had to return four new LPs since Christmas, all with numerous issues - nonfill, scratches and warps, but the worst had a raw vinyl pellet squished into the grooves after it was pressed - would have been a cartridge write-off if played without inspection!

IMG_7895

1 Like

Another delivery today:

Stick-Up! has been on my wish-list for too long already, thought i’d better buy a copy before they stick the price up. The Carmell Jones requisite with due thanks to this forum reporting and recommendations.

I wish i could afford to purchase every Tone Poet release, can’t seem to go wrong with 'em.

8 Likes

The Stick-Up is fantastic, enjoy :+1:
The Carmell Jones is on my list, too

2 Likes

Daft Punk was a Birthday present from my son.
Alan Parsons Project is a speakers corner record.

3 Likes

Bill Evans Trio - Trio 64, Verve/AS (2022)

Another excellent Acoustic Sounds reissue.

9 Likes

Great new record shop in Hove. Visited at the weekend, mainly Jazz. Have you discovered it yet.! Sells coffee too

I only find clear vinyl to be the worst as far as cueing is concerned, difficult spotting the tracks with the underside showing through :rofl:

1 Like

:grimacing: That’s probably the worst example I’ve seen!

1 Like

The second time I’ve posted this excellent record this time it was played on my main system at home.

Shintaro Quintet - Evolution, Street Noise Records (2021)

This excellent reissue by the J Jazz Masterclass series allows Jazz fans to own this incredibly rare 1980’s recording.

I’ve only one complaint the unlined paper sleeves other than that it is top drawer and unsurprisingly sounds even better on my Planar 8 than it did on my Planar 1.

No, I hadn’t heard of that. Can you give me a name and address, please? A good excuse for a wander, or a bike ride, even.

I almost always discard inner liners on opening my new records, and substitute a plastic, anti-static and non-scratch one.

Latest 6 albums, the top 4 from today from a local shop that is unfortunately closing its business by the end of this month due to lack of sales (probably due to being in the suburbs rather than in the city). I’ve tried my best to keep them going though …

1 Like