What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

7 Likes

Fantastic album, as were (just about) all Tim Buckley’s albums.

Just dived into my favourite charity shop for another swoop. £11.50 the lot. Not much to go wrong.

4 Likes

Gerald Wilson Big Band - Moment of Truth, Pacific Jazz/Tone Poet (2022)

What a great sounding record this is I’m not a huge big band fan but this is large in scale but also retains the sound of a smaller group
especially on the ballads. I’ll definitely be looking into Gerald’s other Pacific Jazz releases.

3 Likes

Grant Green - Nigeria, BN/TP (2020)

Missed this first time around and due to the recent reissue used prices have fallen picked this up for £21.

419bulHRXXL.AC

5 Likes

I’ve four of this series and am very happy with sound and print quality both.

1 Like

Sounds great, AAA, great packaging, and I really like the music. Craft makes great-sounding pure analogue LPs (do digital too for those who like that sort of thing) for a great price and ships immediately. They compare on par with Tone Poet’s, Audio Nauntes, and even electric recording company at a fraction of the price and better service. What more could anyone ask for?

1 Like

I slightly disagree with you in that Craft are hiking their prices in what seems to me like a race to the top to see how high they can push prices.
Tone Poets for example sell for between £30 - £37 (AS Series similar too) whilst Crafts new OJC series are near £50. Both series are manufactured to similar spec (KG mastering, RTI pressing etc)

2 Likes

you are right @Dreadatthecontrols same over here with the prices in the OJC Series. Within one month the prices have been rising from 42 to 52 Euros. IMO the only one that is close to TP or AS is the Bill Evans (Waltz for Debbie).

Qualtiywise I would rank the Craft AS Series a bit higher though their price range is between 30 and 40 EUR over here (comparable with AS and TP. There are some real treasures to find in this e.g. Ornette Coleman (Something Else) or the ones from Art Pepper

1 Like

Of course the higher prices are being driven by the FOMO mentality. I wont play that game, as consumers I think resistance is the way to go and hopefully the prices will come down.
On the other hand I worry that Craft’s approach could be self defeating, a point will come where higher prices will slow sales with the possible liklihood that the golden goose will be killed due to “lack of demand”

1 Like

Oh yes, FOMO is a dangerous disease :wink:

A lot of TPs, Classic Series and AS Series have a price drop after some weeks or months. I only buy must haves from these series in preorder. All others should be on a wantlist. prices drop. I think the peak of the price bubble is almost reached. some prices are actually over the top and they will all drop. we just have to wait

2 Likes

By chance, lots of LPs from Deutsche Grammophon:

Beethoven Seventh Symphony - Carlos Kleiber (The Original Source, no 239 of 3,200)

Beethoven Piano Sonatas 109 to 111 - Maurizio Pollini (limited edition, no 249 of 1,000)

Schubert - Trout Quintet Gilels/Amadeus (The Original Source, no 1,046 of 2,300)

Verdi Requiem - Karajan/Berlin PO (The Original Source, no 558 of 2,000)

Piano Recital (Rachmaninov, Scriabin, Ligeti, Prokofiev) - Yuja Wang (2LP)

(I saw Ms Wang playing a John Adams concerto in concert, as part of the Brighton Festival, a few weeks ago.)

Plus the ever happy Roger Waters - The Lockdown Sessions (2022)

And Rory Gallagher - All Round Man, Live in London - 3 LP set recorded during 1990 tour

All of which should keep me out of trouble for a day or so.

3 Likes

‘Red Rose Speedway - Double Album’ - Paul McCartney and Wings

4 Likes

The fear of missing out is not a fear at all so many copies are pressed these days unless it is a limited edition with a small number of pressings it is as you say worth waiting .

Copies of Grant Green’s Nigeria Tone Poet release where selling or where priced at £100 or more prior to the recent second pressing after which I picked up a used copy for £20.

Andrew Hill - Dance with Death. Blue Note Tone Poet Vinyl Series.

4 Likes

Your first paragraph doesn’t make sense, but;
TP’s are not limited, Joe Harley has stated that he doubts any titles wont get re presses. In fact many titles have already been re pressed. No need to pay flipper prices and £100 for Nigeria is just cobblers!
Joe Harley, Kevin Gray & Blue Note are firmly committed to the TP series with some 60 titles already mastered and ready for release over the next 2 1/2 years.

Edit:
Nigeria is currently widely available at the usual price eg Juno have it for £32.99

3 Likes

Now my system upgrades are complete, I am definitely going to be channeling funds into my black discs.
Tone Poet and DGG are both high on the list of releases I’ll be looking to add to the collection😊

1 Like

You could get some Ese vinyl @QuickSticks:wink:

2 Likes

I could, but I’d need to listen to her a bit more first. Only played that CD I bought once so far🤔

From Discogs…