What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Ella Fitzgerald - The Best of Ella. A £1 charity shop find. Purchased more as a torture test for the Okki-Nokki RCM to see what can be brought back to playable condition. Original inner sleeve present but ripped to shreds, so the LP was covered in finger prints, mould, stains, sticky residue, dust and loads of light surface scratches - but no feelable ones, so thought it may clean up to a playable condition. Post cleaning, just a few pops over both sides and the lightest of crackle here and there - I am still impressed as to what a vacuum cleaning machine can achieve.

10 Likes

And that’s not enough?

Jeez, when I first played Up In Smoke I knew - then I immediately played it through again. :laughing:

Been a Vooduu Child ever since.

1 Like

…sorry, wrong thread! Moved.

Not teaching you to suck eggs. Give it at least 2 or 3 runs through the RCM and check your stylus after playing each side, cleaing fluids tend to turn ingrained contaminants into a sludge which gets ploughed up by your stylus and you may find your stylus getting gummed up.

1 Like

Yes, always do now as I’ve learnt the hard way through trial and error. This LP took three passes. First, a home brew based on The London Jazz Collector’s mix, second, Clearaudio Pure Groove, third, Art Du Son and finally a distilled water rinse. Stylus tip perfectly clean after playing both sides, viewed under the mini loupe.

1 Like

Now heres an amazingly timely coincidence!
£100?..Nah!..£50?..Nah!, £32.99 from Juno thank you!..FOMO?..nah!

And the music is of course superb, one of Grants finest imo, ably aided and abetted by Sonny Clarke, Sam Jones and a little known drummer by the name of Art Blakey with Rudy Van Gelder at the controls in 1962.

Grant Green - Nigeria (Tone Poet/Blue Note)

:heart:

2 Likes

Your user name is very apt in this instance. One of the best of the recent TP releases along with Carmell Jones and Byrds Slow Drag imo
:+1:

1 Like

Hope they get round to doing more copies of ‘Cornbread’ soon !

1 Like

I like those two as well. Brilliant comment, thank you.

1 Like

Oh! I forgot to mention Caddy For Daddy, another favourite here…
:heart:

1 Like

I’ll let you have mine for £200! Then get the repress when it comes…kerchinggg! :wink:

1 Like

Not too desperate - I have an orig. mono copy. I would like to hear it in stereo though. One of the ones I was on the fence about in 2019.

1 Like

Only joking of course.
As it happens, I’ve obviously had a senior moment, somehow I must have already bought the TP of Nigeria and forgot. I found it alongside another Grant Green (the superb Matador) from the MMJ series.

DOH!
:thinking::rofl:

3 Likes

That would be the MM 33rpm series would it? I’ve just checked my 45s and it looks as if it wasn’t included in that series, so I have just avoided that one. It will be interesting to hear which one you think is better.

There were a number of Grant Greens in the 45 series - including Solid, Matador and Gooden’s Corner.

That’s another one I have on a Liberty mono so umming and ahing over that one. The choices !

1 Like

Matador is an MMJ33 and probably my most favourite Grant Green

1 Like

The TP is up to the usual high standard although the cut of this one is a tad bright, not in a bad way just an observation

1 Like

Probably not a lot to be gained over the TP if your original is in good order. Bearing in mind that like all records of the period cut and EQ’d for the playback gear of the times, KG isnt working to those constraints and cuts warts and all.
Another thing worth considering is that even when cutting Stereo, for an undefined period, even after the move to Englewood Cliffs, he was still monitoring in Mono. So I think its fair to suggest that those Mono’s will be how RVG heard them in the control room

1 Like

It’s a pretty good first press copy with NY labels. I was on the fence back in 2019 on this one and if I remember rightly, there was some debate about warble during Herbie’s intro to ‘Ceora’.

I was also wondering about the Sonny Clark Trio Tone Poet but the CD version on the Mosaic set is excellent and good enough for me.

Uploading: IMG_2789.jpeg…
Arrived today, some familiar, some not. Great album though