What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Shabaka - Afrikan Culture, Impulse. Records (2022)

I’ve had this on my collection list since it was released and luckily found this used copy for under £20 I have listened to it a lot on Tidal and it’s quite a different Shabaka Hutchings I’m hoping this vinyl pressing lives up to the excellent content.

Its a fine record, anything involving Shabaka Hutchings gets my vote in any case

Dont recall hearing it, I’ll give it a spin and let you know.
I’m guessing your referring to the Hoffman thread. There has been a lot of overheated controversy over warblegate that started with Andrew Hills Black Fire and a couple of other titles. Some hearing it some not. Of course we have to remind ourselves that these are 50 to 60 year old tapes and KG cuts whats on the tape.
If some listeners are sensitive to audible imperfections then CD’s/Streaming can be better options as audio can be corrected in the digital domain…
But hey you know all this, so don’t know why I’m teaching you to suck eggs.
:heart:

1 Like

Nathan Davis Quintet ft Carmell Jones - The Hip Walk, MPS Records (2023)

A1 AAA reissue up there with the very best reissues of the year. The line up and the music are exceptional as is Christoph Stickel’s remastering.

3 Likes

Chet Baker’s Last Recording Quartet - Live at The 5th Rosenheimer Jazz Liv(f)e Tage 17 April 1988, Timeless/Mov (2023)

Part of Timeless Records Music on vinyl series recorded just a few weeks before his mysterious death in Amsterdam not one of his best though his backing band are excellent.

1 Like

Juno have copies for £36.

Ese is quite a gal!

I have both her albums on (numbered copy) vinyl.

1 Like

Cornbread? Can’t see it.

Thanks for heads Bob. Just purchased from Juno. I already have the live album released by SAM records which is fantastic so really looking forward to this.

Oops sorry it’s The Cooker both are brilliant though.

1 Like

No probs. Might be tempted with ‘The Cooker’.

I have all of the following Lee Morgan (as band leader) Tone Poets Cornbread, Rajah and The Cooker and they are all excellent just waiting on Infinity hopefully that is as good as the others.

@TheKevster mentioned way back here the Iron Mountain storage facility. There a fantastic TrackingAngle Youtube video. I was stunned, go searching for

“Universal Music Group Opens its Iron Mountain Tape Vault And You are Invited!”

Martin

2 Likes

Yes Martin, it was a great watch. Fremer is such a lucky guy, getting to do all this cool stuff.

Here’s a link for those interested:

3 Likes

I know! I posted them to you! (She is on my label).

1 Like

Yeah, all are good. I have a very good sounding Jazz File pressing from 1982 of ‘Infinity’ so will likely pass on that one. ‘The Rahah’ was a significant improvement on the French DMM.

1 Like

I recently increased my Original Master Recording MoFi LP count by 25% from 3 to 4 with the addition of the 45rpm Dire Straits double album.

My 4 are shown in the photo. The price of these recordings can be eye watering but the other 3 I have (Pink Floyd and APP) were bought years ago and are not 45rpm.

The Dire Straits album is the star of the quartet and is now amongst the very best recordings in my whole collection.

The second photo shows the only other albums I’ve paid >£50 for. The 2 Steely Dans are 45rpm doubles and sound amazing. The Tracy Chapman is an original pressing and I paid £55 for it at a record fair about a year ago.

But Dire Straits smokes ‘em all.

3 Likes

@Toon – that MFSL DSOTM is really poor, I think – soft treble and flabby bass, it’s had all the energy drained out of it. But that Columbia Half Speed WYWH is an amazing-sounding record. Along with a UK first press, it’s the best-sounding vinyl WYWH I’ve ever heard; which is weird, as it’s sourced from digital!

1 Like

Yes. I agree. I have 5 pressings of DSOTM and this MFSL comes in at 3rd best only🙁
But I bought it over 20 years ago so probably didn’t know any better.

WYWH is amazing though

Which issue is the WYWH?

I have the later HC 43453 - the reissue needed supposedly because the original (HC 33453) was cut with the wrong EQ.

I’ve really begun to like my MFSL of DSOTM, especially with the RP10 where it really comes good for me (oddly, not so great on the LP12 or Garrard though). However, there do appear to be two different issues ('79 and '81), and plenty of different dead wax variations, so I do wonder whether there are quite different sounding cuts, possibly with different EQ applied?