What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Nice to know the re issue holds up against an expensive hard to find original, thanks

1 Like

Aha - but if you go Amazon* with Prime there is no extra delivery charge.

• Other outlets are available.
3 Likes

Yes it does. I usually give the edge to originals in this series but it is not night and day and it assumes originals are A1, increasingly difficult to get. The new sleeve notes are a big bonus and put the releases in historical context.

1 Like

Yeah, but for ethical reasons I avoid Amazon. I prefer to buy elsewhere, especially Bandcamp in the knowledge that my purchsse is doing more to support the label and music.
So I payed £24 and a fiver postage, I’m happy with that and I’m fortunate enough to not be so hard up that a “saving” of £2.39 whilst giving my money to Bezos is significant

1 Like

I hear you - but they are delivering tomorrow, which is pretty good in my books. Especially so for those of us who are fairly rural.

One important thing we’ve touched upon before is the fact that a lot of vintage records were mastered to playback on the limitations of the equipment of the times. Not so much the case these days, so some re issues arguably can sound better notwithstanding the age and condition of the tapes of course.

Anyway, looking forward to Down Another Road and I’m delighted to see Harry Becket on this one to

:heart:

Yeah, whatever floats yer boat. I dont mind waiting a couple of days. There are plenty other outlets that deliver next day, Juno is my other top go to, excellent customer service and pricing, very often better than Bezos on both counts.
Anyway, we digress, however the music reaches you, enjoy!

2 Likes

Has anyone compared the new Trunk version of Hum Dono to the Vocalion reissue? I have the Vocalion (and it is really good) but would like a second copy if the Trunk is comparable.

2 Likes

Funnily enough that came up in a conversation I was having recently regarding Joe Harriott Abstract , I dont have it but from what I recall I think its OK (the Trunk) but dont quote me. I’m not aware of a Vocalian re issue?

The Dave Gold Big Band is excellent one of the best vfm jazz reissues out there.

1 Like

I don’t have anything to compare it too but the Trunk reissue is very, very good and great vfm.

I have the Vocalion. It’s good enough that I probably won’t bother with the Trunk.

I have copies of both - both are good sonically. The sleeve on the Trunk is a bit better, having the flipback.

1 Like

£5.99 inc delivery can’t be beaten !

If only Decca would do a Joe Harriott box set as per the Tubby Hayes. Singles and EPs, Jazzland, the Columbias and topped off with Indo Jazz Fusions. That would be one heck of a set.

2 Likes

Where is that from?

Same seller - but I think it was the last one.

1 Like

I have received a few of DGG’s ‘The Original Source’ LPs, cut from the original analogue 1/2 inch 4 track tapes, including Carlos Kleiber’s Beethoven Seventh, Karajan’s Mahler Sixth, Emil Gilels’ Brahms Piano Concertos with Jochum/Berlin PO, Karajan’s Berlin PO Verdi Requiem, and Abbado’s LSO Rite of Spring.

I need to set aside a few hours for some serious listening.

They LOOK to be wonderful pressings, but time (and the LP12) will tell.

Anyone interested should get their orders in quickly. They are limited editions of up to 1,600 copies, and there are reports of some the issues selling out already.

1 Like

I have also bought John Mayall and the Vinyl Lovers ‘A Hard Road’, a 2LP set recorded just after Peter Green had replaced Eric Clapton in the group.

I have never heard any of the music, or much blues music in general, and I thought that I needed to try something completely new (to me).

I think that might be difficult as JH’s recordings are all over the place I think, might be a bit of a licencing nightmare to gather it all up, search decent sources etc. It would be a helluva great project though.

I’ve got two copies of the Tubby Hayes set, its really good but they were a bit cheapskate with the sleeves, even printing the outline of a flipback on a cheap thin card, whats that all about? :joy:

I love the Indo Jazz Fusion recordings, have them all on both beer mat and the black stuff

Btw I’ve had a really nice conversation via email with Jon at My Only Desire/Bandcamp following my order. Now you dont get that from Amazon, just saying :wink: