What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

FOMO alert! :wink:

Just arrived. Two titles from MPS so called AAA series

Nathan Davies Quintet- Hip Walk
I really ordered this as it features Carmel Jones who I am enamoured with after hearing The Remarkable Carmell Jones album from the Tone Poet series.

Bill Evans - Symbiosis
The Bill Evans trio with Eddie Gomez and Marty Morrell in a full orchestral setting.
Not an MPS recording as such, recorded at Columbia New York in 1974

And with Prime I can get my LPs even very many pre orders delivered to the shop across the road which saves the Amazon driver leaving them in the doorstep.

1 Like

The Golden Voice of Jussi Bjorling.

3 LP Boxset charity shop find. :grin:

4 Likes

That will help the driver towards not getting sanctioned by his supervisor for failing to meet unrealistic and unreasonable delivery targets.

There’s a reason why Amazon drivers (and other couriers) dump and run

Grant Green - Nigeria, BN/Tone Poet (2020)

Brilliant music, brilliant line up
And a brilliant reissue by the Tone Poet boys and girls. Nothing more to add than that.

2 Likes

Shabaka - Afrikan Culture, Impulse Records (2022)

Shabaka Hutchings leaves his sax at home for this recording and gives us an insight into his extensive talent a musically ability playing an array of different instruments.

Beautifully recorded Dilip Harris and Riley MacIntyre and mastered by Guy Davie at Electronic Mastering.

Flavours of Africa and more than a hint of Yussef Lateef but still totally original.

1 Like

Björling is a wonderful member of the cast as Rodolfo in Beecham’s famous ‘La Boheme’, made in mono for EMI in New York.

A magic recording all round.

Is this the one. I can’t see any information regarding where it was recorded.

2 Likes

I really liked High Pulp’s last album so I’m looking forward to this, their newie…

1 Like

Sorry, I thought that I had replied.

Yes, that’s the one. The story goes that EMI realised that Beecham, de Los Angeles and Björling were all in New York, with time to spare, so decided to go into the studio with an orchestra (from The Met?) to make the recording in two or three days. It’s a very special set of LPs.

If you want to supplement it with something altogether grander, Karajan’s Berlin PO/Decca account of the same opera is pretty damn good too!

Beecham, famously, did not like or get on with H v Karajan - probably because they ran up against each other in London when Beecham had his RPO and Karajan (with Klemperer) was at the helm of The Philharmonia.

Beecham’s classic quip about Karajan always amuses me: “Karajan, a sort of musical Malcolm Sargent” - which manages to do down both his rivals!

2 Likes

Lightnin’ Hopkins, Brownie McGhee, Sonny Terry, Big Joe Williams - Penitentiary Blues, Fontana Folk Blues USA.

2 Likes

Lightning’ Hopkins - Walkin’ This Road By Myself, Ace Records

Short and sweet - only 25 mins. Very 70s big band music in the KPM library style, well recorded by the Beeb.

4 Likes

This arrived this morning, the new expanded 2LP remaster. Great sounding record. Love a bit of Talking Heads …

10 Likes

Can someone compare the Stop Making Sense remaster to the original please, would be an interesting comparison.

Red Garland Trio - Swingin’ On The Korner, Elemental Music (2014)

When it comes to Jazz are there many better pianists than Red Garland? Accompanied by two other Jazz superstars Philly Joe Jones and Leroy Vinnegar this live recording is captivating recorded over 5 nights between December 6th - 10th 1977 at Keystone Korner, San Francisco.

Edited and mastered from the original analogue tapes by Doug Yoel and pressed at GZ who have done an excellent job all three records are flat and quiet.

2 Likes

John Lee Hooker - That’s My Story, Ace Records (1989)

2 Likes

Lee Morgan- Infinity, BN/TP LT-1091

Another absolute gem from the Blue Note vaults recorded in 1965 but not first released until 1981 featuring Jackie McLean, Larry Willis, Reggie Workman and Billy Higgins.

As always beautifully pressed and presented and an absolute FOMO people.

1 Like

9 albums for £57 from my excursion this morning to my local music stall holder at the collectibles warehouse, Setchy, Norfolk.

These were £2 each.

£27 for this pair.

Prize of the day for £24😊
Obviously they’ll all be getting a thorough clean before playing.

3 Likes