What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Thought that must have been the case ! I’m often in the second hand place but never even knew that they had a town centre ‘new’ outlet. Will pay a call next time I’m in town.

1 Like

There’s also another record shop right next door called ‘Bridport Music Centre’ - it had a couple of Tone Poets too, plus lots of second hand vinyl.

2 Likes

That is does !

Two great MFSL releases there @Zoomcap :+1:t5:

1 Like

Bob, do you know why this recording took so long to be released?

1 Like

Its not one of Lee Morgan’s better albums imo, maybe Alfred Lion just decided not to release it at the time for that reason.
I’m sure @Bobthebuilder will be able to provide us with a definitive answer though, which will be interesting.

1 Like

Thankyou Dread.

1 Like

One of his very best. I just have the ‘bog standard’ pressing.

1 Like

I’m only making an assumption of course, there can be many reasons why records get shelved, performance, technical, not fitting in with a particular zeitgeist, contractual complications and so on

Yep understood.

1 Like

I’m a huge Lee Morgan fan Neil but am certainly no expert and so I don’t understand why Alfred Lion chose to shelve such an excellent recording back in 1965. Maybe Jazz of that type was just becoming less commercially viable but in my opinion it definitely wasn’t due to a lack of quality.

Even though I’m slightly biased and think that all four of Lee’s original compositions are excellent especially Zip Code for me the stand out track is Jackie McLean’s Portrait of Doll. Personally I can’t recommend this recording highly enough and what KG and Joe Harley have done is again excellent but as I have said I am biased.

1 Like

Thankyou Bob for your reply. I will give this a listen on your recommendation.

1 Like

Charles Lloyd At Monterey - Forest Flower, Atlantic/Speakers Corner (2016)

Recorded at the Monterey Jazz Festival and originally released in 1967 Charles Lloyd is backed by Jack DeJohnette, Cecil McBee and Keith Jarret

Remastered and cut by KG at Cohearant and pressed at Pallas

51h0JkwK04L.AC

2 Likes

I have Solid on MM 33rpm and it’s excellent I’ve never heard the 45rpm but would be interested to compare them though.

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline (pressed on white vinyl)

1 Like

A while since I’ve played it but pretty good as I recall.

I was an original subscriber to the 45 rpm series so have a full set. It was easier at the time as prices were reasonable, shipping costs weren’t prohibitive and the £ was way stronger ! If it was now, I wouldn’t have bothered.

1 Like

Was away for the weekend and came back to this, which I’ve been really looking forward to:

5 Likes

Blue Note tended to run a backlog of sessions by quite a few of their artists. Artists such as Morgan tended to push Lion with requests for new sessions so as to promote their new material and bands and to get advance royalties and Alfred Lion was usually pretty generous. He was also something of a stickler for QC and maybe they were holding out for another hit like Sidewinder which this session didn’t deliver.

Like so many of these sessions which are now getting an airing in the Tone Poet serises, it was unearthed by Michael Cuscuna in the late 70s for (initially) Japanese reissues followed by US issues. Caused quite a bit of excitement at the time !

2 Likes

Yes I read somewhere that AL was pushing Morgan to go into another direction with a funkier sound.

Personally I prefer almost all of those 80’s Cascuna releases to the more poppy, cover versions that came out in the mid to late 60’s.

1 Like

A bumper few days of arrivals for me.
This on Friday, which I’ve already posted:

This one came Monday, The only First Aid Kit LP I didn’t have:

FAK TLR

This one that I’ve never got round to buying:

DP RAM

Been trying to get a good sounding copy of this for ages. Hopefully this 2 x 45rpm Mofi will plug that gap:

WZ EB

This one as a mystery free gift for buying the Warren Zevon from The Vinyl Adventure. Last time I got an Impex pressing of Both Sides Now by Carol Kidd. This time I’m super pleased at getting this. Not as great sounding as the Carol Kidd, but closer to what I would normally listen to:

6 Likes