What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I’m a big fan of Kleiber’s white-hot reading of Beethoven’s 5th, so this caught my attention when it was released. But it’s a limited edition, I dithered, and now it’s getting hard to find. Surprisingly, Amazon still has it, so I ordered it last night and got my copy this morning.

As is my habit with new records these days, I opened it immediately and gave it a quick test listen, in case of quality control problems. I needn’t have worried, as both music and sonics are extraordinarily good.

10 Likes

Jaimie Branch Fly or Die³ (world war)

Irreversible Entanglements Open The Gates

Ethnic Heritage Ensemble
Spirit Gatherer - Tribute to Don Cherry

Playing Jaimie’s last album right now. Beautiful.
So sad that this was to be her last recording. She’ll be missed. She left us on a high though.

4 Likes

Grant Green - Green Street, Blue Note Connoisseur Series, (1995)

Mastered from the original analogue tapes by Wally Tragoutt at Capitol and pressed at RTI. I’ve been after a copy of this for years I actually bought a MM 33rpm copy about 5 or 6 years ago that arrived from the US badly damaged I returned it and was given a refund because no more copies where available.

It’s probably my favourite Grant Green record as a leader and backed by just drums and bass the three piece frames him perfectly Alone Together is just exceptional and if the pressing is as good as Tina Brooks’ True Blue from thhe same series then I’m in for a real treat.

8 Likes

I don’t know the Katchen record, but the other three are (quite properly) regarded as classics. You did well at £1 each, if they are in excellent nick.

1 Like

A very nice courier has delivered two (actually three) nice LPs just now.

Alanis Morissette’s ‘The Collection’, a greatest hits 2LP set, with a few unreleased tracks thrown in for completists.

And my favourite Yes album, the mighty ‘Fragile’, Rick Wakeman’s debut with the band.

I will go and listen to them, after I’ve visited my local shop for a newspaper and some provisions to keep body and soul intact…

4 Likes

A nice sextet of albums has just come from Ace Records: Johnny Lytle, Jon Appleton & Don Cherry, John Carter & Bobby Bradford, Leon Thomas, Ornette Coleman and a tasty looking Latin freestyle compilation curated by Bob Stanley.

3 Likes

Was never into slowdive when they were around in the 90’s - but this new release and the 2017 record are fantastic!

5 Likes

A couple arrived today…

Another Chvrches… one more is in the mail to complete the set of their albums…

And Sigur Ros’s latest…

2 Likes

Everything But The Girl - Fuse… :grinning:

6 Likes

Dizzy Reece - Star Bright
2023 Blue Note Classic Series

Was on my list from release date on because of a recommendation from @Dreadatthecontrols
Fantastic music from this great Quintet, SQ and Pressing are absolutely fabuluos. Got it now for under 20 EUR, what a bargain! Will report more when cleaned.

6 Likes

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Early 1973 UK Press

10 Likes

It’s a very good collection. I particularly like One Hand In My Pocket. She’s very clever. Vinyl isn’t the quietest and the mastering is a little bit odd, but overall sounds good.

She always used to sound so angry!

I hope that she has found contentment.

1 Like

A couple today to complete the band’s album sets…

Chvrches

Hælos

1 Like

Her videos are superb too. I think she’s into buddhism, so she’s probably quieter now. She’s one of these people who’s good at everything and too intelligent for us forum blokes.

Hi @krautnaimie just back from cruising Norway, beautiful country! So only just caught your post, glad your enjoying Dizzy Reece
:heart:

1 Like

2 Likes

Back to the stone age with Local Psycho (jimmy cauty of the JAMM’s latest project)

Mofi 45rpm release of Natalie Merchant’s Tigerlily

4 Likes

Goodness, Ian, that recording must be a good 60 years old. Giulini did some great things with the Philharmonia (eg ‘Don Giovanni’).

Who are the singers, please?

PS Don’t worry, I’ve checked: Helen Donath, Christa Ludwig (of course), and Robert Tear and Robert Lloyd.

1 Like

That’s alight Graham - I have jokes that are older !!! And knees that are even older still

best wishes

Ian